Older rifles

hootey

Went to the range yesterday with two older rifles I have had for years and never fired. First: an older model Ted Williams Model 100, 30/30. The stocks are a little banged up, the reciever is a faded bronze color, But the bore looks brand new. With reloads, from 100 yds with a rest, I put 5 rounds in a group roughly 4 and 3/4 of an inch. Not bad for open sights by someone bumping 50 yrs old.
Second: also another older model. This one a Mossberg Model 800A in 308, with I believe the original scope, a Bushnell 2.5 to 8 power. Again from 100 yds out, from a bench with the same rest, and with reloads. I shot a group exactly 13/16" center to center. The reloads were IMR-4895 with Sierra 175gr HPBTM rounds.
Not bad for older rifles that most people walk right past in gun shops and never look at twice. No fancy stocks, no big ad campaigns, just a couple nice well built rifles. I like the new guns out there like everyone else but, I really like the older stuff. Plus, the older guns can be bought for a fraction of the price of the new ones. Let's hear it for the older "Pre-Owned" guns. HooRah!

Attachments

• P1010308.jpg
    P1010308.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010310.jpg
    P1010310.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 81
Hottey:

I'm on your side. I don't know why people pass by a bargin because of superficial blemishes. My brother gave me an Interarms Mauser action with a Douglas barrel in 338 Winchester magnum. The gun set in his basement for years and it had rusted badly on the outside; however, the bore is spotless and accurate. When people ask me why it is rusted I tell them that I rescued it from the scrap heap.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

publius

Very cool, I like the old, different stuff. they might not shoot like the latest $1500 bolt gun with a A$1000 scope but plenty accurate for deer at average distances and I bet you can really tighten those groups with the right handloads.

hootey

Thanks a lot for the comments

Thank you fine outstanding gentlemen for your comments. A little more about the Sears Ted Williams 30/30, the 3 holes on the left side of the target are from 147gr FMJBT. The 2 holes on the right are from speer 150gr FPSP. Same cases, same exact powder load and primer, and the same point of aim. Shows the diffrence in bullets and bullet designs. Yes I loaded the FMJBT's rounds one at a time, directly into the chamber.
The Mossberg 800A is a great. Nice smooth trigger, smooth as silk action, and almost no felt recoil from the 175gr rounds I was shooting. Tis not a $2000 Sako but, hey I like it. I had thought about replacing the 30 to 40 year old scope with a new one but, I am going to leave it alone. Thanks again.:)

10-96

Hmm, this thread just made me think of a new favorite quote, "Old don't mean broke and country don't mean dumb".

Way to go Hootey- keep shaking out them cobwebs! My favorite .30-06 is a born again mauser sporterized in 1946, and it still wears a 1947 Lyman Alaskan 3/4" scope.