Older Remington 1100 and steel shot

bossman

I have a 1100 Remington and people say not to use steel shot. I don't duck hunt with it so are steel shot shells marked on the box. If the box don"t have steel on it I should be good to go right? What about turkey steel or something else?

Fleabag

I really don't know if it's a wife's tale or not but I have heard it a lot, not to use old barrels with steel shot bc they were not designed for said use. You can allways get a new barrel or shoot modern alloy loads that resemble lead in performance (density). Err on the side of caution and use regular loads until you get a deffinite answer from Remington.

PS - I have an old 11-87 first year of production model before the ban of lead loads for waterfowl hunting and I shoot steel loads regularly with no apparent ill effect. I really don't know if the barrel was design with steel shot in mind.

nutty ned

Yes, steel shot shells have steel on the box. Turkey steel shot is steel shot in a different box.

The issue with steel shot in 1100 and newer guns is the choke, fixed full I would not shoot steel. Mod or bigger I would not worry about it.
With choke tubes, they make a full choke tube that is made for steel.
I still use mod or more open for steel.