older 1911s--some questions about ammo, profile and pressure

longeyes

I'm buying an Argentine Colt 1911 (Sistema Modelo 1927). How well will this Colt clone (probably 50 years old) feed a round like the new Cor-Bon Pow'r'Ball or Federal's EFMJ? Ideally, I'd like to find a cartridge that will feed like ball (reliably) but offer some expansion potential too. These two rounds, though, are both +P--is that a concern with older 1911s?

Jim V

The Systema 27 was made of quality steel. I don't think that the composition of 4140 steel has changed since then. I don't know if I'd make it a habit of running several 1,000 rounds of the stuff through any time frame's 1911.

I shot a lot of the Remington 185 grain .45 +p through a WWII Ithaca, the Itahaca pistols had "soft" slides,and it held up. The slides on the Systemas are "harder" or at least toughter than the Ithaca slides.

FWIW YMMV VWP NVIAS NWEI CCBS LS/MFT

sapienza

Do you happen to have any ideas of unsafe loads for use with factory Colt 1911s from the same time period (1926)?

KPS

You might consider getting a Wolff recoil spring kit and putting in the heaviest spring that will work with your systema.That might save a little wear and tear.I have put about 550 rounds of 230 grain ammo through my systema but have not put any +p loads through it.Good luck with it.They are great guns:)

Walt Welch

KPS; agree with what you said. Use heaviest recoil spring which will allow gun to function reliably. Also, put that extra power firing pin spring which comes in the package with the recoil spring from Wolff; this will eliminate the possibility of an accidental discharge if the pistol is dropped on the muzzle.

Get a + 10% mag spring pack as well; extra pressure on the stack of cartridges helps reliability of function, and some say it slows the slide speed somewhat also.

Install a recoil buffer; this will help a lot by preventing battering of the metal to metal parts during recoil. As long as you change them frequently (every 400-500 rds. or so), they will not adversely affect reliability.

Polish the feed ramp and breech face. Check the extractor tension. A new hammer spring might be indicated, considering the age of the pistol.

A detail strip and cleaning is assumed.

Have fun with your well made Modelo 27. Walt

P

PreserveFreedom

I have heard it rumored that the original 1911 was designed to feed a 200 grain SWC. If it is a plain lead SWC, you can get better expansion than a FMJ round. Your best bet is going to be to try a little of everything.

Zorro

I have several Sistema Colts and they seem to eat any ammo without complaint. It IS a all steel 1911!

Really though there isn't a real need to Hot Rod the .45 ACP, more wear and tear for a very slight power boost.

If you need a Magnum then go get a Magnum!

Just have a .22, a 357 Mag, a 45ACP, and a .44 Mag and you are prepared for anything.

longeyes

Zorro

My wish is to find a round that will feed as reliably as ball AND offer some expansion. It just happens that the new EFMJ and Pow'RBall cartridges are both +P. I am happy to stick with standard pressure rounds for most of my shooting but need to know if the gun can handle, safely, +P pressures and if I can at least "certify" (200 rounds) one of those two rounds for possible SD use. What would you suggest as a self-defense cartridge out of the Sistema other than straight FMJ?

RickB

Most hollowpoints have essentially a ball profile, so there shouldn't be much trouble finding one that feeds. A buddy of mine has a 1913 Colt, and it fed three different bullet shapes from a c****y old G.I. mag, so you may not have to worry. I'd stay with standard-pressure ammo, and standard-rate springs.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The "Sistema" guns were intended for the same ammo as all other 1911's - mil spec 230 grain round nose FMJ. Using other types may require work on the feed ramp, barrel, magazine, or all three.

NOTE on recoil springs:

A heavy recoil spring does absorb the rearward slide motion and reduce impact on the spring guide and frame. But there is no free lunch. The stronger spring increases the impact on the slide stop pin, barrel feet, and the frame when the slide goes into battery. This can lead to battering or, worst case, frame cracking.

The 1911 was not made or designed for super pressure loads. Stick to pressure and velocity within the design parameters, and use a standard spring. You should have no problems.

Jim

longeyes

RickB

I guess then a smorgasbord "sampler" of HPs to see what flies and what doesn't is probably the intelligent course. In the past, my semi-auto experience confined to Glocks, I have not considered too carefully the question of what might or might not feed.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My first Government Model was a four-digit serial number that I picked up around 1970 for $75 in like-new condition. (Ain't that a shame? :D ) I had already put a lot of GI Ball ammo through it before I got into IPSC. This included a lot of steel-cased EC 43 surplus stuff, which felt fairly hot. I never changed the recoil spring.

Zero problems of any sort.

I have one of those refurbished South American commercial Colt-made Governments, of about 1934 vintage. I've shot it, but haven't done any tuning. Seems to work just fine.

FWIW, Art

Jim V

If you want JHP's that are close to the ogive of 230 grain FMJ, look at the various Remington Golden Saber loads. Their 230 grain JHP is loaded to ball specs and is designed to feed in unaltered pistols. FWIW

Zorro

I suggest the Federal 185 Grain JHP Classic or Winchester 185 Grain Silver Tip.

The ONLY advantage of a hollow point in .45 ACP is to lessen wall penetrations in a house. The 185 Grain hollow point is lousy at penetrating auto bodies.

I don't really think a 230 Grain Hollow point in .45 ACP will really expand in flesh without hitting bone.

longeyes

Thanks to all for the great information. I haven't taken delivery of the Sistema yet but am excited about having a 1911 to play with.

gyp_c2

...They're all a little different. Try several til' you find what you and the pistol likes and go from there. For the small amount of shooting to get used to the ammo, it'll work just fine. I wouldn't go changing anything til' you've shot the dang thing. It may work perfectly just as it is...Isn't that what you want? If you insist on changing out parts, my best advice is to keep a log before you start and log every little change and ammo change you try. That way if somethin' goes bonzo, you can put it back to original and start from scratch
bandit.gif

...good shootin'...