Old Winchester .22 ID

Hedley

I was at a pawn shop on my lunch break today, when I came across an oddity int he form of an old Winchester .22. I don't recall if it was LR or WCF, but it did have the following:

Heavy octagon barrel of about 22" or more
Full length, 4" wide stock that looked aftermarket or home-made
Tang mounted flip-up peep sight
Rolling block action w/ exposed hammer
A $599 price tag

It didn't have anything but the usuall Winchester markings and a serial no.

It was also heavy as sin and looked like a 1885 model, but with a full stock and octagonal barrel.

I'm just curious as to what model it might be, and if there's no pitting and 50% remaining bluing, what it might be worth.

Scorch

Sounds like a Winchester Low Wall 1885 with a hack stock on it.

Probably a falling block, not a rolling block. I am not aware of any Winchester rolling block rifles.

$599 sounds a bit steep for what you've described, but I would bet $350 would change the woner's mind.

Jim Watson

Agree with Scorch... maybe.

Winchester doesn't make rolling blocks, only the 1885 falling block "highwall" and "lowwall".

If of .22 caliber it might be a .22 Short, .22 Long, .22 Long Rifle, .22 WRF, .22 WCF, .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .219 Zipper, or any of a host of wildcats that have been put on Winchester actions over the years.

A highwall is worth more than a lowwall; a centerfire is worth more than a rimfire, except maybe .22 lr. Original is better than replaced or rechambered. Good is better than fair.

That is plenty of money for a shot out .22 short lowwall, although somebody who wanted to rebuild it for a companion gun to a BPCR target rifle would likely pay for it.

A highwall action alone would be worth more than $599 if you wanted to fool with it.

Look at it closely. Take pictures and show us. Know what you are looking at.