Old westernfield shotgun

hunter33

I have a older 20 gauge shotgun that I wanted to get some background on. I tryed to find information on it, but I cant seem to find anything accept it's made by Mossberg. Here is what it says on the barrel-
Westernfield
Model m175 20 GA C-Lect-choke

Scattergun Bob

hunter33

Great question,

In the golden age of shooting, the 1950s and 1960s, things were much different than today. The big boxes of the time all had there own "store brands" of firearms. Western Auto, Sears, Penneys, and Montgomery Wards were in the gun business, each contracting gun manufactures to produce a specif model for there house brand.

You have a Mossberg 385K bolt action W/polychoke, marketed by Montgomery Wards under there house brand Western Field model 175.

You can find Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, Savage and many more manufactures represented in these house brands.

:) as a kid I never argued with Mom to go shopping at these big boxes, she could always find me standing next to the gun racks, Pepsi in hand, with visions of Christmas presents to come!:)

Hope that helps

Good Luck and Stay Safe

BigJimP

Westernfield's were some good serviceable shotguns.

My Westernfield is a bolt action 16ga - and I got it for my birthday or maybe Xmas in 1958 or so .... It killed a lot of grouse in the 50's and 60's - and its still in the back of my safe - resting comfortably. I hope you hang onto it / or at least keep it in the family somewhere.

Hawg

You can find Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, Savage and many more manufactures represented in these house brands.

Most house brands were Mossberg and Savage. AFAIK Winchester only made guns for Sears.

Scattergun Bob

Hawg Haggen

In general you are correct, but:

Ted Williams brand - had limited Ithaca and Remington products

Coast to Cost had CIL/Anschutz and Marlin products

Penney's for a short time had Colt products

If you would like I can scan a page of specials and send them to you.

House brand guns often show up in police evidence rooms, and years ago I traded LE products for seized guns. Saw a lot of house brand guns.

Good Luck & Be Safe

hunter33

I'm thinking about taking it hunting in the valley for deer. My question is can I use slugs with that choke on it. If I take the whole choke off, it will take the front sight off along with it. Any advice would help :)
Thanks-Jett

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
For me, a very average shooter, I can shoulder my cylinder choke (none) 20 gauge pump with 18 inch barrel and knock off 6 shots in a pie plate size group easily at 60 yards. That was the length of my range so that is all I am able to claim. I would not have any problem trying an 80-100 yard shot as I know the slug is gonna still have a ton of energy out there.
Brent