Old Taurus PT 38 Super

44caliberkid

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1013946858

Saw this on GB. I’m a 38 Super fan and didn’t know Taurus ever made these. I had a PT in 45 ACP, it worked fine but I eventually traded it. I think these were $300 guns when new, I’m curious to see how this one tops out. The 9’s and 45’s still go for $300 to $400.
I’m also watching two Ruger Single Sevens, 7.5 inch barrel, 327 Federal Mag. One is already at $1050.00. These were Lipsey’s Specials and they are hard to find. I wish Ruger would make them in greater than hens teeth quantities.

rc

I've become a 38 super fan too. I enjoy shooting my 4 inch bull barrel in 38 super much more than my Colt commander in 45 ACP and it's about as cheap as 9mm to shoot since I reload. I think it feeds and cycles better in the 1911 than 9mm too. If I wasn't living in the land of fruits and nuts, I'd have a colt combat commander in 38 super too.

Miami_JBT

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1013946858

Saw this on GB. I’m a 38 Super fan and didn’t know Taurus ever made these. I had a PT in 45 ACP, it worked fine but I eventually traded it. I think these were $300 guns when new, I’m curious to see how this one tops out. The 9’s and 45’s still go for $300 to $400.
I’m also watching two Ruger Single Sevens, 7.5 inch barrel, 327 Federal Mag. One is already at $1050.00. These were Lipsey’s Specials and they are hard to find. I wish Ruger would make them in greater than hens teeth quantities.

Probably made for Latin America, where 9x19mm and .45 ACP is banned due to them being "military cartridges," but .38 Super isn't.

Wow. I never heard of that one, either.

I've been fascinated with the .38 Super for years, and have often thought about getting one. But I'm not sure that I want one on a 1911 platform, and that has really limited the choices.

I'm really hoping that S&W will bring out the M&P2.0 in .38 Super. I e-mail them about once a year asking for it. So far no dice.

44 AMP

Staff
My Dad had a .38 Super in the early 70s. Straight stock Colt Government Model. I got to use it (and load for it). Loaded JHPs when factory stuff was all FMJ. Gun worked fine, and was moderately accurate, but not tremendously so. This was back in the days when the Super was made to headspace on that tiny "semi-rim".

The Super became quite popular with the "race gun" crowd in the 80s-90s, I understand many of those guns were built to headspace the case on the case mouth, and are generally more accurate because of that.

I don't have personal experience with that, but its what people say...:rolleyes:

The .38 Super is a bit of an oddball, since it uses the same case as the earlier .38ACP. All of the early Browning designed pistol cartridges use the semi-rim case design (25, 32, & .38ACP). Supposedly, this was done because Browning wasn't convinced that headspacing on the case mouth would be reliable enough. No one has ever found anything from the man himself stating that, but its assumed that's why he did it, since after the 9mm Luger proved it would work, Browning's later pistol rounds were rimless case designs (.380 & .45ACP).

When they uploaded the .38ACP in the 20s, originally, it was the pistol that was named Super 38 and the round didn't become the ".38 Super" until sometime a bit later.

I would expect an "older" .38 Super to be made to headspace on the rim.

Stuff goes for incredible and often unrealistic prices on Gunbroker, because it is an auction.