Old Stevens Double-Barrel

Jeff Thomas

Interested in information on an old Stevens double-barreled shotgun that has been in the family. Age guess is circa 1955. I'll try Gary's friend Harley on this one, but wanted to ask all of you as well:

On the receiver (?): 'Stevens Model 311, Savage Arms Corporation, Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A.' and on the other side, 'Model 311A'.

On the barrels (28"): 'Selected Forged Steel', and on the other 'Proof Tested 12 Gauge, 2 3/4 Inch Chamber'

Underneath the barrels: 'UBAE' (with the 'A' and the 'E' in circles)

Thanks for any assistance.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
What you have is a variation of Savage/Stevens basic double barrel hammerless shotgun. These are rather plentiful as Stevens produced quite a few 311s in many variations. Stevens' "usually" have a date code behind the hinge pin or ahead of the triggerguard on the bottom of the frame that is represented by a small circle containing a number and letter - A=1949 up to V=1968. The Proof Tested is not an accepted proof as American firearms proof testing is voluntary and therefore not sanctioned or controlled by a governing body. The individual companies set their own criteria for testing so there most likely is little uniformity from mfgr to mfgr.

Andy

I've got one too in 16ga. It says model 311D. I don't know what that means. I'm glad you posted this thread cus when I took it out to look at it it was all rusted up. Now I gotta clean it. Must have been some moisture in the gun cabinet.

Andy

Jeff Thomas

fal308 and Andy - Gary's friend Harley ( http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31137 ) was kind enough to respond via email with the following:

"I have owned this shotgun and repaired and restocked these shotguns for years. In my opinion it is one of the best shotguns for the average hunter. I even shot skeet with it and have had a great time doing it.

According to my records the shotgun was manufactured under Stevens Springfield from 1931-1989, and under Stevens, (311-R) in the 18 1/4" barrel, (law enforcement) from from 1982-1989. The "A" and "E" are the series number.

Depending upon the condition of the shotgun the value is (between)$250.00 (100%) to $120.00 (60%)."

FYI. Thanks to all. Adios.

hoss33

stevens 311 r series j

I have a stevens 311 r series j 12 ga 18 1/4 bbl with a bluge in rt bbl can anybody give me info on replacement bbls?

railer12

I own many nice shotguns, but my stevens 311 that my dad started me on is still my favorite and go to gun for upland game. Good gun.