Old Shotshell Question.

Legumeofterror

i have some old ammunition that belonged to my grandfather, and am just trying to find out about it. i have some 20 gauge remington ammo labeled "Mohawk Field Load" and was wondering what the "Mohawk" meant, as well as its possible value, if any, to a collector. all i can find in searches is a firearm by that name. here's a picture of it along with other old boxes. any info on the others would be appreciated as well.

IMG_0244.jpg

Dfariswheel

I "remember"?? that Mohawk was a brand name Remington used for lower cost shot shells.

Remington has long used the Mohawk name in a variety of products, since the factory is located in the Mohawk Indian area.
I "think" it's actually in the Mohawk Valley.

Ruger4570

Remington is located in Illion, NY which is part of the Mohawk Valley. I am sure the brand name comes from that.

Rampant_Colt

Cool biz!

Of the items shown, the Ted Williams .308 Winchester may have a collector value. It doesn't look like it's in that great of shape though.

The other stuff is shootable..

BigJimP

The items you have are pretty common - not much value there. Condition on ammo boxes is a big deal to collectors - even on rare items. Poor condition on common items is a killer on value. But think about this - your grandfather didn't keep them as collectables - he used the ammo - had some fun ...and you might just keep them because they were his/especially if you have his guns as well.

As I recall, Mohawk was just a marketing name - cheaper field loads - but no big deal.

Legumeofterror

i intend to keep them, along with all of his firearms. i was just looking for information on the ammo. now i need to track down whatever it was he had that was in 20 guage, cause i dont have it! thanks for the replies!