Old revolver

Ifishsum

I have what I believe to be an original 1875 Remington but I'm not sure how to really tell. There are no factory markings on it other than a "625" on the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard. It appears to be chambered in .45 colt and a loaded .45 colt round fits into the cylinder. It is nickel plated with what appears to be ebony grips and the grip strap has been engraved with a name. I'd say the finish is 90-95%, the barrel is a little shorter than most pictures of this model I've seen, I can't tell if that is original or cut down. Any input is appreciated, I'm interested in how to tell if it's original, and the value. Thanks!

75Rem1.JPG

75Rem2.JPG

Jim Watson

The illustrated revolver is a modern Italian Uberti copy of the 1875 Remington in its least common variation, 5 1/2" barrel .45 caliber.

How do I know, you may reasonably ask?

The repro has a Colt type crossbolt base pin latch. The real Remington latches at the end of the base pin at the front of the ejector rod housing.

The repro has a hammer block safety device added to the design to satisfy modern liability lawyers. It is the little bar in the step below the firing pin.

A real Remington would be so marked.

The name on the grip strap is probably somebody's SASS alias.

Ifishsum

Thanks for the replies. I see the differences now looking at photos. How long has Uberti been making these? The gentleman I got it from has never fired it and he has had it at least 15-20 years and he thinks it quite a bit older than that. Is the three digit number a serial number? because there seems to be no other numbers on it...

The name seems to be a real name and not an alias.

Bootsie

I have an Uberti Remington 1875 with 7,5" barrel in .45 Colt S/N 73 from 1972. At that time Uberti made them PC without the cross pin but already with the lawyer safety.
The 3 digit number is probably the serial number. My Remmie has the S/N on the butt, however.
You may want to send a mail to Suzanne Webb of Uberti: suzanne.webb@ubertireplicas.it with the details. Ms Webb might check the factory records for you and tell you when your pistol was made.
Bootsie

James K

Member In Memoriam
It has become fairly common for scammers to take those repros and remove the original makers name, the proof marks, and the "black powder only" marking (if present). But they can't or don't bother to try to duplicate the original finish, so they cold blue, leave the guns "in the white", or have them nickel or chrome plated.

Value? IMHO, near zero as anything but a shooter; if the gun is by Uberti, it is not even worth what it would have been as a good quality repro.

Jim

Ifishsum

Yeah, I thought it was strange that there are no manufacture or caliber markings at all. I also noticed that the firing pin hole in the frame is cratered out a little, dragging on the rounds in the cylinder when loaded. It would need a little work to get it to shoot but otherwise seems in good condition. I'm sure it is a black powder or light cowboy loads kind of deal anyway if I were to shoot it.