Old Model 37 Questions

Joe_Pike

I stopped in the LGS yesterday after work and one of the guys chases me down with a box in his hand. He puts it on the counter and it is an old S&W model 37. He told me I could have it for $325.

Well, I need another snubbie like I need another cheeseburger. I already have two 36s, two 442s, two 642s, a Cobra and a Detective Special. However, I am thinking about getting it anyway.

The serial number is 169xxx, which puts it somewhere around 1960 I believe. If anyone has one in that serial number range and knows for sure you might let me know.

The thing that is bugging me is the box. It seems to be the right time period as it is a blue box with metal corners. However, it doesn't say anything about being a model 37 on it. It has "38 Terrier" printed (not written) on the end. So, I'm guessing it's the wrong box?

The gun is not pristine, but is in nice shape for it's age. It has the correct grips for the period, a little muzzle wear but it locks up nice with no endshake.

Did S&W ever ship guns in the wrong box or did it just get swapped somewhere down the road? I know the box isn't that big of a deal with this model but it would be nice to have one of this vintage with the box.

Joe_Pike

Well, I've come to the conclusion today, after doing some investigating, that the box is from a model 32 and someone just stuck a model 37 in it. So, I'll probably pass since I just picked up a CM9 and a Model 65 about a week ago. I really don't need another j-frame. If the box was correct I would pick it up, but I need to be buying ammo instead of more guns.