Old Leupold Scopes

N00b_Shooter

Hey all, I'm kinda new to shooting and am lookin to get my first rifle soon, i was told to spend as much on a scope as i do on the rifle. I dont have all that much money but my dad used to shoot and he has 3 old leupold scopes. They were purchased about 20 years ago and 2 of them cost $800AU. I just want to know would they still be good quality scopes today and is there anyway to know there exact model. All i know is there price back then and that there 12x magnification. Lastly with the right firearm are they able to clearly see a target at 1000 yards at 12x magnification?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but i am new to shooting and just trying to gather information and work out how much its gonna all cost. Thanks in advance for any information.

kametc

If it says Leupold it will always be a good scope. Are they variable like maybe 3&1/2 X 12? Or are they fixed 12X? Fixed scope would be more of a Target or Varmint scope. What are you planning on doing with the rifle BTW?
Model # should be on top of the front of the bell. It'll say VXIII or VXII or M12 or something like that.

Only stupid question really is the one that does not get asked.:D

Ken

N00b_Shooter

Hey, thanks for your response, i need it for target shooting, i just joined a club and they shoot 500m to 1000m. its a fixed 12x scope, i'm hopeing 2 put it on a rem 700p or sps varmint in .308 (Don't know if it will reach 1000m though) but i'm new so it should b alright for a while. I'll check the model after dinner

Thanks again

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Your problem for 1,000-meter shooting will be with the mounting of the scope and the amount of movement available in the adjustment of the crosshairs. Ask your fellow shooters what they use, what's available to you "down under".

I'm using Leupold scopes that are over thirty years old. They work just fine for my purposes. For your long range shooting, you probably ought to use the scope with the most magnification.

j.chappell

PHP:
Your problem for 1,000-meter shooting will be with the mounting of the scope and the amount of movement available in the adjustment of the crosshairs.

Art nailed that one!

You may want more magnification but for many, many years snipers the world over have been using 10X scopes to make shots you and I may only dream of.

I happen to have 4 Leupold fixed 12's. I routinely shoot groundhogs laying in fields and grass as far as 535 yards (my furthest kill to date with a Winchester Heavy Varmint in 308WIN). Now just to let you know a ground hog lying down only offers you a target height of about 4"-5". Start with what you have and move on if you choose.

scoobydoo6906

there are special scope bases or rings that allow for more adjustment. you should check out ar15.com. look in the armory section there is a precision rifle area ask a few questions there. the people there will be able to help out with scopes and rings and bases and general info.