Old Ithaca double

44 AMP

Staff
I have an old Ithaca double, 12ga., purchased by my Grandfather in 1909. The gun has a coulple of features he had done for him. 26", choked full/full (at his order), and the stock has more drop than customary today (again at his order-to fit him).

What I am curious about is the safety. The gun has what I would call a 3 position safety. There is a hole in the safety so you can see the letter "S" when on safe, which is the middle position. Forward to fire, and when the action is opened, it goes on safe. Backward from safe is also "fire", and when the action is opened, it does not go on safe. Also, in the rearmost position, with the action open, you can pull and hold the triggers while closing the action and the hammers are lowered, without "snapping" them.

I have seen two other Ithaca's from the same era, and neither one had this kind of safety. I am wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge about this particular safety. Any Ithaca experts out there?

The gun also has a splinter forend, "fluid steel barrels", double triggers, and a dog (setter? pointer?) bird hunting engraved on both sides. Also it has only extractors, not ejectors. Papa once told me after about 40 years or so, he decided he should have spent the extra $1.50 to get ejectors!

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Daves-got-guns

i dont know squat about ithacas, or older shotguns in general, but is this gun a 2 trigger gun or 1 trigger gun? being older i'd figure its a 2 trigger gun but still thought i'd ask. My thoughts are if its a 1 trigger gun if one posisition selects 1 barrel, and the other selects another barrel? but i dont know squat about these guns just tryin to help.