Old Howa 1500/RWS 89

briang2ad

So, a LGS has a very clean looking RWS 89 with an RWS Supreme scope. (Looks nice, but have no idea if these were good). Looks like a package and I guess that it is an older model of the Howa 1500 which has been sold in several configurations and several companies. I know the action is very good. It feels smoother than a Rem 700. The trigger feels very good. This model has a nice matte finished Euro style walnut stock, and is in excellent condition. The stock is inlaid for the three safety positions. 30-06. They want $650. What say y'all?

mikejonestkd

Howa 1500 rifles are well made, and are branded by a few other companies too.
Nice rifles, but the price it very high for a used rifle.

Check out www.gunbroker.com, brand new ones are going for less than $650.00, although most are synthetic stocked rifles.

T. O'Heir

An older model of the Howa 1500 is still exactly the same rifle as a Weatherby Vanguard. A BINB 1500 GameKing package(has a $200, 3.5 to 10X x 40, Nikko Stirling scope and a Hogue stock. Way too much magnification range for a .30-06.) runs $669 from Legacy.
Wouldn't worry about the brand of the scope. If you don't like it you already have the rings and bases.
RWS is just one part of a great big company owned by Dynamit Nobel. I think their scopes are made by Swarovski. Never heard of Nikko Stirling myself.

Jim Watson

Pictures of RWS 89 sure LOOK like a Howa.
Who have made trade name guns for numerous companies who did not want to tool up for their own bolt actions. Their first import to the USA that I know of was the Dickson Golden Bear.
Trivia: The Howa is very similar to the 1970s Sako. Sakos have changed a lot, Howa not much.

briang2ad

Yes. If the glass was really great it would be a decent deal. You can nail a walnut Vanguard near the same price. Vintage RWS may be meaningless as well. Not much out there on RWS rifles. The action and trigger feel great!