Old H&R's... are they any good?

carguychris

Howdy all,

I'm contemplating buying a .22 revolver for some low-budget practice. I want something DA so I can practice my trigger pull. One of the local gun stores has a pretty intruiging used gun- it's an H&R 949, a little 9-shot revolver that looks like an SA "cowboy gun" (such as a Ruger Single Six or Heritage Rough Rider), but it's actually double action.

The price is quite good, the gun is in good mechanical shape, and I'm tempted. :) However, I'm a little nervous about buying a decades-old product from a company that's out of the handgun business. Should I consider this gun or save up a little while longer and buy a used S&W? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Pappy John

I don't have one of the 949s, but I do own a late 1930s vintage 'Sportsman" DA 9 shooter that still works very well indeed. It's the precurser to the Model 999. I've often wondered where I could find parts if something went wrong with it, but I've never had the need, and I shoot it regularly.

Rustyst

I have the exact gun, bought it for my son for $110 otd at a local pawn shop. The gun is great, shoots straight, buy it if the price is right.

L_Killkenny

Have a 949 myself. Reliable, Good guns but the DA trigger pull on them generally leaves a lot to be desired. You shouldn't be paying more than $150 for one in very good shape. Not that they aren't worth more but thats the going rate.

LK

winmagbill

I have a 929 that is a fun little plinker, but not something to "practice" with. Buy some snap caps and dryfire the gun you want be good with. If the H&R is priced right buy it to!

Bill

gvf

What's the difference between the Sportsman and 999 and 929 and 949?. I saw one for $100. Looked like 6", octagonal barrel, I think top break but not sure, adjustable sights, walnut grips, and a trigger-guard that has some sort of "Flourish", 18-Century style, in the rear - gun is 9 shooter. Which was that?

Last edited:

deputy tom

H&R made some nice pistols.I owned a 999 but would buy a 949 if I saw one at a good price.If you feel the asking price is right and the gun looks nice go for it.tom.:)

pistolet1

gvf

The Model 999 was also called The Sportsman, and it featured a 6" vent rib barrel and was a top break design. The little "Flourish" thing on the back of the trigger guard was called the second finger rest or integral rear spur. I believe this was designed by Walter Roper and taken from the single shot U.S.R.A. target pistol that H&R produced from 1928 to 1941. I have seen it on the Model 999, the 939 Ultra Sidekick, the 940 Ultra Sidekick, and the 926. All four models had walnut grips; with the 940 having an additional left side contoured thumb rest on it.
The two Sidekick revolvers were both swing out cylinder models; the principal difference between them being that the 939 had a flat sided vent rib barrel. Perhaps this is the model you saw.
The 929 Sidekick was a slightly plainer version of the Ultra Sidekick, with a 2 1/2", 4", or 6" barrel, round grip frame, and black checkered plastic grips. The 949 Forty-Niner was a SA styled revolver with a loading gate and an ejector rod housing.

Jim March

As long as it's not so old it's a breaktop, the H&Rs I've examined seem to have been well built. I haven't shot one yet but I'm told they're reasonably accurate.

Esp. in rimfire, I'd bet they're a decent deal if they pass "the checkout".

DenPro

My First Gun

My first gun was this gun and I miss it. It was a great "first handgun" for me and I don't regret purchasing it for a second.

OJ

[Old H&R's... are they any good? /QUOTE]

YEP - VERY GOOD !!!

Here's my first - got it in 1933 -

P5140020A.jpg

P5140021A.jpg

Well - OK - that wasn't what you had in mind - it's a duly registered NFA .410 pistol.

Here's my 686 - Buntline Special - looks like single action but will shoot double action - really good shooter, though. Has cylinders for .22 LR and .22 Magnum.

BUNTLINE2A.jpg

H&R was known for quality guns.

:D

mfree

Picked up a 95% H&R 929 at the shop a few weeks ago for $75. At that price it could have been junk and I'd still be reasonably satisfied... but it went and gave me a 1" group at 7 yards in single action, she's a keeper :)

Double action is tough, to be honest.

Old H & R revolvers

I got two H & R revolvers and think they are pretty good for the price. All H&R 22 need to be looked at close in two places. Look at the back of cylinder for dry fring groves and the hammer striker to see if it is messed up.

gvf

939 Octagonal

Here's a pix of the one I asked about. It's marked 939, serial # AP52662.
Called Ultra Sidekick. Octagonal barrel, vent rib, cylinder swings out by moving central "pin", target grips, I think 6", odd double action: trigger pulls hammer back, when trigger depresses "button" on rear of trigger guard, hammer releases. .22 (I guess LR), 9 shot. Year is 60's I think. Guy wants $100.

Also, here's Blue Book 2005, for H&R Values. Not sure if that's the whole Blue Book by the way, for all guns - but seems there's quite a few listings on it. Find what you want under "search"

http://books.google.com/books?id=dt...ts=wt7NX-gvVG&sig=GnVusmzwMhaxCZhGPQQJUdENecA

Attachments

• H&ROK.jpg
    H&ROK.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited: