Old Cow

Gbro

I killed my 1st Elk last week during the Colorado Muzzleloader season.

Because of 2 day's of rain I was running very low on B P as I had to change my load more than usual and that my powder flask wasn't in camp so after dropping the Cow I had to use the powder in my priming tool to reload for the finishing off shot. One thing nice about that was I knew I had to close my pan cover (frizzen) and the pan self primed.
While waiting for the packs, I boned out one side and then went for the shinny white teeth to find that there was only 1 tooth in the old girl's mouth . Well she had incizers, but no molars.
When my help arrived we started bagging and the milk bags pulled loose and became un-attached.
We then had 3/4 mile hump down to camp and being I put her down at 6pm it was getting real dark in the timber. About 1/3 of the way to camp we run across a couple hunters on horses and here its the local Warden and a friend coming in from a evening hunt.
Well he stops in our camp and checks everything out and has some questions about the sex evidence that's not attached. After confirming that I did know the bags should be attached he let me off. :)

Attachments

• P1010069-1.jpg
    P1010069-1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 96
  • P1010073-1.jpg
    P1010073-1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010071-1.jpg
    P1010071-1.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 87

iraiam

Nice Hawken, I like to see fellow BP hunters and their Hawken rifles. I made my first BP kill with a patched .498 round ball, 120 gr. of BP, vernier peep sight.

Mobuck

I shot an "old cow" elk once in Wyoming-worst tasting, toughest elk meat we ever had.
The guide indicated I should shoot the biggest one which I did. Big in profile but not very wide.

Gbro

I shot an "old cow" elk once in Wyoming-worst tasting, toughest elk meat we ever had.
The guide indicated I should shoot the biggest one which I did. Big in profile but not very wide.
I do not know what anyone means when they don't refer to their Elk meat as being tough-FFFFFF!

We have brought Elk meat back many times and it matters not what size, they were all tough-FFF!
This old cow is ground up and that is just fine because I love ground Elk.
I did have the store where i brought it run a few steaks through the chopper that they use to make a cube steak. I had some venison given to me last fall, as I didn't score, that was done like that and it was GRAND. I am kind of savoring the thought of a grilled Elk steak that might not exhaust me. :rolleyes:
As for Guide, not for me. :)