Old Colt 'Lightning' .38

Chris W

I've recently inherited a Colt revolver that belonged to my great-grandfather, a captain in the Kansas City Police dept. I know that he joined the force in 1884, and I know from web-research, and a knowledgeable local dealer, that the gun is a model 1877 'Lightning' .38, Colt's first production double-action revolver. I'm trying to get a bead, now, on the year in which this particular handgun was produced. The serial number is 54XXX, but I haven't been able to find a site or source that will tell me what year that makes it. My suspicion is that it would come from around the time he joined the force, but the serial number looks a little high to me. Anyone know where this kind of thing can be checked out?

(sorry I don't have a scanner to show it to you just yet--I'll get one in another week or two. It's in lovely condition, though, and with what appears to be its original holster)

Chris W

Many thanks, Marauder--I was sure someone out there would make it look easy. After having it looked at, I fired it last month (using .38 shorts), and it shoots like a dream for a 116 year old piece--well, a dream with about a 40 lb. trigger pull. That's alright, though, since I don't plan to make a habit out of shooting it--just something to take out and fondle once in a while.

Marauder

I ain't real smart, I just own a book. ;) I'm glad you shot it, too many old guns never get shot. Then the question becomes "Is it still a gun?" Or is it just another thing gathering dust. I think you are smart not to shoot it too much, as the mechanism is a little on the delicate side, compared to a Single Action Army or a more modern double action. There are few smiths who really understand these guns enough to work on them. Enjoy it.

Be advised that the lockwork is VERY fragile on these guns, and can quickly go out of order.

Luckily, there are sources for new lockwork to replace the old.

You can easily make .38 Long Colt cases by trimming .38 Spl. cases. Bullets in the .38 LC were originally 150-gr., but you could use 158 witout problems, or 148-gr. wadcutters.