Old Colt End Shake?

MsMittens

I have an old (1930) Colt Officer's Model .22 revolver. It is a dream to shoot. Locks up nice and tight, and is in time. The one thing it does do sometimes is it spits out the sides a bit when it's due for a good cleaning.

It does exhibit a small amount of end shake, and I'm wondering, how much is excessive on a revolver like mine? I'm going to measure the gap with a set of feeler gauges, but I don't know what the safe range is.

Dfariswheel

Colt had a strict spec of no more then 0.003" end shake.
To measure........
Push the cylinder to the rear and hold it there while you use a feeler gauge to measure the gap between the cylinder and rear of the barel.
Then push the cylinder forward and hold it while you gauge the gap again.
Subtract one measurement from the other and that's how much end shake it there.

With the cylinder to the rear is also the actual barrel-cylinder gap.
This should run from 0.004" to a max of 0.008" with "perfect" about 0.005".

Happily the 60's and earlier Colt's have a flange machined on the cylinder crane shaft.
To correct end shake you can install a precision washer over the shaft.

Newer cylinder without the flange cannot use a washer and the collar on the front of the cylinder has to be stretched with a special hydraulic machine then trimmed to fit.
You CANNOT drop washers into the cylinder like with S&W revolvers, that will wreck the cylinder assembly.

For Colt end shake washers buy here..........

https://www.triggershims.com/colt_revolver.php#C-OP-CYL

If this doesn't correct the spitting, you may have a spring crane and an alignment problem.

A great aid for all this is the Kuhnhausen Shop Manual on the Colt Double Action Revolvers, Volume One........

https://www.brownells.com/gear/book...ouble-action-revolvers-shop-manual--volume-i/

This shows Colt pistolsmithing to factory standards, including how to properly disassemble the cylinder without damaging it.

tangolima

I wouldn't worry about endshake in a .22lr revolver, till I start having misfire, although their should be no endshake to be perfectly kosher.

The traditional method for fixing endshake is to push the cylinder back. Eventually the cylinder gap will become excessive.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

reddog81

How's the timing and lock up? I've never noticed any end shake issues on my old Colts (Police Positive .22's and Officer Model .38's), but on well used guns it's common for the timing to get a bit off which can cause that same issue.

I can't imagine a Officer Model in .22 LR developing an end shake problem but I'm no gun smith and I suppose anythign is possible