Old Charter Arms .22s and modern ammo

Carmady

Can the old 1970s Charter Arms .22 revolvers safely handle modern ammo like CCI Mini-Mag, Velocitor, and Stinger?

Model12Win

I would stick to standard-pressure .22 ammo. The bulk pack stuff should be fine. Don't overdue it, Charter Arms are not known for strength.

Jim Watson

I think his point was that if it will hold .22 WRM, it will handle any LR.
Also .32 H&R and .38 Special in the same cylinder diameter.

I think you need to search harder for something to worry about.

Carmady

"I think his point was that if it will hold .22 WRM, it will handle any LR.
Also .32 H&R and .38 Special in the same cylinder diameter.

I think you need to search harder for something to worry about."

I value your wisdom and opinion

How about .410 shotgun shells in a .45 Colt SAA? Should I worry about that?

CajunBass

You do know they had mini-mags, stingers, yellow-jackets, etc., back in the 70's?

We had all those dinosaurs to worry about you know. ;) :D

Jim Watson

It is SO easy to just throw a question out on the internet to be answered by somebody else, even to be looked up for you by somebody else. I get that.

But a lot of such questions and a lot of the answers seem downright timid to those of us who came up in shooting before the internet.

And "old 1970s era" seems a contradiction in terms to us, too. Right modern in my world view.

Carmady

"It is SO easy to just throw a question out on the internet to be answered by somebody else, even to be looked up for you by somebody else. I get that.

But a lot of such questions and a lot of the answers seem downright timid to those of us who came up in shooting before the internet.

And "old 1970s era" seems a contradiction in terms to us, too. Right modern in my world view. "

I'm going to fax you a quarter so you can buy a clue. Then you'll have one.

g.willikers

If you take a good look at that .22 and notice all the "meat" around those little holes in the cylinder chambers and barrel, you'll be less concerned.

Cheapshooter

Can the old 1970s Charter Arms .22 revolvers safely handle modern ammo like CCI Mini-Mag, Velocitor, and Stinger?
Yes, it can handle those rounds. But does it like them?
I have found that in guns from Heritage Rough Riders, to various new semi-autos from Browning, Walther, and Taurus to my Ruger 10-22 Takedown, CCI standard velocity is more accurate than any of the high, or hyper velocity offerings.
Give the hotter stuff a try, but also compare them to standard velocity foe accuracy.
If your concern is to get a little more umph for SD use in 22 rimfire, you might get some, but you will never turn a 22 into a 38. Not in performance, or more importantly in reliability. Even the best rimfire cartridges are more prone to missfires than any centerfire. Maybe they are 90-95% reliable, but I wouldn't want that other 5% to show up at the worst possible time.

"And "old 1970s era" seems a contradiction in terms to us, too. Right modern in my world view."

Remember that the 1970s is also the "modern" era that gave us such stellar and sturdy pieces of kit like the RG, Rohm, Arminius, etc.

I'm not sure that I'd want to fire a BB cap out of some of those.

So, to someone born maybe in the middle 1990s, who's now just getting into firearms, the 1970s does seem like an earlier age...

T. O'Heir

"...CCI Mini-Mag, Velocitor, and Stinger?..." Those are made to fired out of any .22 LR firearm. You really do need to try a box of each to see how well your revolver shoots 'em though. And like Mike says, stuff from the 1970's isn't old.
Back in the 70's we had Winchester Expeditors too. Yellow Jackets beat 'em all. A Yellow Jacket will go right through a standard M1 Helmet. Rest of 'em penetrate only one side. Out of a rifle. Not much point to any hyper-velocity stuff in a hand gun.

Ozzieman

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
At the same time the most useless answer is "look it up" or "Why would you ask".
There is so much crap on the in ter net that a lot of people don't trust it. Then they find something like TFL and they feel confident in the answers they get.
I always feel that if you don't have something to contribute that is relative to the question, put your fingers in your pockets.
To the OP, yours was a good pertinent question and your welcome.