Old cartridges for young people to see...

bigbird34

Merry Christams all, Just a few hours from now we'll be celebrating Christmas with our families .....so I have some quiet time before all the festivities begin...An old friend of mine got me into cartridge collecting about ten years ago,and since then I have been adding to my collection ...The history of firearms and the constant "improvements" especially during the Civil war ...
is truly amazing....some of these shells names you may have heard,some you have not ....this is just one cartridge board ,that I have made ,others may follow if you are interested in ,a little history,as history can be fun,

Once we got passed the flintlock,and percussion,and rimfire(there was also needle fire,pinfire,etc) we went into the internally primed "Benet primed" cartridges,this was a center fire round(rather waterproof),but NOT reloadable ,once the "primer was introduced" then brass cartridges could be reused and reloaded ....around 1873...

Here are few of the cartridges from that period ....and into the 1870's

Upper L.H.Corner .58 Cal Dangerfield & Lefever.C.F.

Upper R.H. Corner a .54 Cal Burnside.(percussion single shot, lever action.)

Upper Row L.To R. .44 Henry Flat,.46 Carbine,.46 Long .46 Ballard(all rimfires),40-90 Bullard,38-45 Bullard,40-85 Ballard.44-75 Ballard,.44xl Ballard,38xl Ballard,32xl ballard(all C.F.)

Bottom Row L.to R..45 cal Ward Burton,50-70 C.F."Old Reliable',50-70 Musket Benet primed(interally primed)50-70 blank ,(for training horses,not be gun shy)..50 Carbine, Benet primed,.50 Rem Army C.F.,.50 Carbine C.F.,.58 Cal C.F.(Benet primed),58 cal carb,C.F.,.58 Musket C.F.

I hope you can see the picture well enough...and if you like viewing these old shells let me know and as time permits I'll post a few other bullet boards I have .....
I have about 500 different cartridges on display and believe it or not I'm just scratching the surface of what has been manufactured and produced over the past 100 years ...

Merry Christmas,and Happy New Year
Keep your powder dry !
BB34

Attachments

• DSCF2421.jpg
    DSCF2421.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 154

Hardtarget

You have some cool old cartridges. I've always thought the collections I've seen were unique. Each one had some I'd never seen...some I'd never even heard of. Keep it up and growing...bet it looks good in your den!

Mark.