Old ammo question....

tjhands

My Dad brought my old .22 over to my house after sitting in a back room at his house for about 14 years. I have about 500 rounds of ammo which is that old too. How long can you keep ammo? If they are "bad," will it just be a dud, or is there any danger in shooting them? Thanks.

shep854

If it is quality ammo, and stored in the proverbial "cool, dry place", it should last indefinitely. Lots of surplus ammo is much older than that. Be sure and look the rounds over for dents, corrosion, etc.

G56

If the ammo has been stored inside the house there should be no problem at all, people are still shooting up WWII surplus stuff with no problems.

Standard caution should always be used, if you get a "pop" instead of a bang, don't chamber another round to see what happens till you have checked for an obstructed bore.

tokarevman

Yes i agree with g56, just make shure when you shoot it that it sounds normal. I have been shooting surplus stuff for years heck i have guns that only shoot surpluss stuff. Also i have shot some .22's that were blackpowder and they went of without a hitch.

tjhands

Appreciate that, fellas. This stuff is Winchester .22lr, still in the box and was kept in a back room. I figured it'd be OK, but wanted to check. Thanks.

Hal

I'm looking at what's left of a box of Remington Golden bullets that has to be twice as old. Stuff still works like it did when I bought it. Only reason I have it is none of my .22's like the stuff.