"Old age" and shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy B. Meredith

Okay, comments about age are always cropping up and this shooter and that is whining about "old eyes", etc.

I know all about the eyes, etc., began handgun shooting at age 52 and competition at age 53. Last June at age 54 I competed in the International Revolver Championship in Morro Bay, CA and came in 124 out of 149 with only 18 months of competition under my belt and using a (sort of) stock revolver. FAR better than I expected given that other competitors are the likes of Jerry Miculek and Vic Picket.

The real kicker, though, is that there were 22 shooters over the age of 55 who did better than I. Half of those were shooting stock revolver and half open revolver. Three over the age of 65 placed very well and left me in the dust.

So what are your experiences with age and shooting?

Are all other shooters over the age of 50 out to pasture and easing themselves through their declining years with recreational shooting--sort of like shuffleboard?

Is this only a malady of auto shooters?

Or could it be that you guys trying to sandbag unsuspecting youngsters?

Mal H

Staff
Good topic! I'm anxious to hear responses as well.

Even though you center it around handguns, it more of a general question so I'll move it to the General Discussion forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.