Old .45 caliber Top Break

tinker2

I have a top break .45 caliber hand gun with British proof marks and made
in Spain. The grips look to be made of horn. It also had a lanyard ring on it
at one time. This not a Webley but it is about the same size.
The proof marks are on the barrel and each chamber of the cylinder.
The proof marks are a crown over a V and a crown over a cp.

Any information on this would be appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• Top_ break_45.jpg
    Top_ break_45.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Top_ break_ proof.jpg
    Top_ break_ proof.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 91

Jim Watson

As best I recall without rummaging through some books, the British were short enough of sidearms in WW I that they authorized use of such Spanish revolvers in .455 with characteristics of Webley and Smith & Wesson. In those days, officers bought their own sidearms and pretty much anything that would handle issue ammunition would be ok. They also bought S&W Hand Ejectors in .455, both the New Century (Triple Lock) and Second Model. No doubt a lot of Canadians brought along their New Service Colt .455s.

pipoman

Mike... I am a noob to TFL I have seen your posts and wondered how you could get 14k posts, now I understand.:D

T. O'Heir

"...No doubt a lot of Canadians brought along their New Service Colt .455s..." Hi, Jim. It's unlikely. Our military was under funded then too. When W.W. I started, our militia officers were told to have their swords sharpened.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The revolver was made by Garate, Anitua & Co., of Eibar, Spain. In November, 1915, the British, desperate for pistols to use in trench warfare, ordered .455 caliber revolvers from Garate & Anitua and from Trocaola, Aranzabal & Co, both of Eibar. The guns are nearly identical except for the trademarks in the grips, but I think that one is a GA&Co, gun. (If so, the grip marking should be a stylized "GACo".) The British bought 45,000 guns from the two companies before cancelling the contracts in 1917. The Spanish revolvers were numerous enough that the British gave them an official nomenclature, Pistol, .455, Old Pattern, No. 1 Mark I.

The grips are hard rubber, or what is called "gutta percha", not horn.

In the 1950's when England imposed strict civilian gun control, many of those guns were confiscated and sold here, along with some that were still in military depots. AFAIK, none were used in WWII.

Jim

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Multiple postings - -

That's the second Quadruple Tap I've adjusted in the past few minutes. Different members, too. :p

Jim K - - Looks like you nailed this one, too. Always pleasing to see such detailed information on esoterica.

Best,
Johnny