Old .22 Rifles

ncpatriot

I may start looking for old .22's to buy and fix up. Weren't old bolt actions the most versatile, some would fire lr, long and short, right? Would they also fire shotshells?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Yup, a bolt-action .22 should be able to handle any .22 S, L, or LR, including blanks and shotshells.

Watch it when shooting CB's or Super Colibris, however. You want to make certain you hear the bullet hit the target before shooting again, especially if the barrel is over 18" long.

levrluvr

Some of the best older bolt-action 22's were the Marlin Models 80 and 81. Very accurate rifle. You can find them around without breaking the bank, and they came with some pretty nice wood back then. They refinish beautifully.

Doyle

Some of the best you'll ever find are the Remingtion 51X series. 510 and 514 are single shot. 511 is clip fed and 512 is tube fed. Very accurate. Will handle any .22 ammo you feed it. Not very expensive. The later versions (sometimes labed with an "X" after the model number) had factory scope gooves.

Picher

There are lots of nice older .22S, L, LR rifles. I was fortunate to pick up a sporterized, checkered, Rem 521T, a Winchester 67, and a Win. 69A. I love them all, but the 69A is my favorite.

The Remington 540-580 series is probably one of the most loved and also one of the best actions around. They're very strong and triggers can be tuned quite well. The series made good sporter benchrest rifles, that is, before the trend to very expensive custom actions.

Picher

PetahW

[some would fire lr, long and short, right?]

Check the barrel caliber inscription first.

While all will fire interchangeable in a LR chamber, all will not necessarily FEED interchangeably from the magazine of a repeater.

The guns, whose barrels are marked for all three, will - if not, won't.

sc928porsche

Almost all newer .22s are chambered in lr. If your rifle is chambered in lr., it will fire the shorter .22s. The Info should be stamped on the barrel.

The older .22s did have different chamberings. I have seen them in short and long.

makarov

Old Mossbergs are great guns. Some of my favorite old .22's are actually "no-name" guns from Sears, JcPenny and Montgomery Wards. They don't have much collector value, but are great shooters. They are re-branded Winchesters, Mossbergs and others.

Singlesix1954

Be careful. This is a very strong strain of the illness. If the 22lr collector bug stings you, recovery is almost imposible. I'v heard of men cured by medication like devorse and bankrupcy, but most die with the infection. It has been known to leave large estate gun auctions that tend to spread the illness to far reaches of the entire nation. This adventure may look cheep, but it's more like the match that starts a forest fire! Proceed with extream caution...and good luck!

cbuchanan87

I love finding old guns and loking at the potential they have to be beautiful again. I found a J.C. Higgins (Marlin Model 80).22 LR at a pawn shop; it was dirty and the bolt barely worked because it was so dirty and gunky. The wood was scratched and dirty. The shop sold it to me for $40 since it was in rough shape. I took it.

I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning and lubed the action. I cleaned and oiled the stock, and it really acme back to life. Now I have a great gun!:)

It is one of the best shooting .22's I have ever had. It's accurate, and solid now.

I love watching a classic come back to life.:D

Picher

Yeah, old rimfire collecting is a chronic, incurable disease. It's kinda like love.

Yes, many old rimfires will accept Shorts, but I recommend they and CB caps not be used much, since they can erode the chamber, causing gases from long rifle shells to blow back past the shell if done to the extreme. Then, long rifle shells will be very difficult to extract because they expand to fit the eroded chamber.

I did it to a Rem 514 when a teenager; it wasn't pretty. I was buying shorts from Sears at 3 boxes for a dollar and I was a shootin' fool! I must have burned up three cases of the stuff through that rifle. It was my brother's, but he left it with me when he went to college. It sported a Mossberg scope with a rubber eyepiece in a side mount.

I wore it out and it was a mess when I traded it at Dakin's Sporting Goods in Waterville. They had a price on it that was higher than a new one and a Mossberg scope would cost. I think it was still in the store when it went out of business.

I don't feel too bad about trading it to them, since I bought almost a dozen guns, ammo, a set of golf clubs, fishing gear and other stuff from that store over several years. They treated me pretty good and my favorite salesman, Alex, taught me to reload and told me where to find woodchucks in the area.

Picher

briang2ad

f3015bdef6049761d92569ab1b64b94064f8484.jpg

b8825f7d1bf3d02b9766ad40fd6b0de52714f50.jpg

Old ones are nice! Both will do S.L.LR.

prolly late on this one...

A good .22 to me is something that is simple, easy to learn, and versatile. The .22 i have is, i believe a Romanian M-69 .22LR . Link on the info here - http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/romanianm-69jb.htm - (sorry dont know how to link copy and paste!) and this is the one i own - http://fc19.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/047/7/1/Justice_by_fading_justice.jpg - this is a great rifle, rugged, and reliable. it has a hole in the stock, of which i took the site with the history of the rifle's advice and put a survival kit inside the hollow bit in the stock. gotta say i'm very impressed with this.

jbrown

careful!friend of mine started talking about having an old 22 like he had when he was a kid,and now has over 50!