Old 1903 Question

mooreshawnm

OK here's the deal. I may purchase a Springfield 1903 mfg 1917. Of course should I buy this old weapon I will have a gunsmith check it out prior to firing it. The question is how safe SHOULD this rifle be. Looks like it has been well cared for. Does metal start to fall apart after 100 years? Were these things well made back in the day? Thank you.

Shawn

Limeyfellow

If its been well cared for it should be better than alot of rifles they sell today. I regularly use 90-70 year old rifles with no problems whatsoever and they are meant to last a considerable time longer than that with care. My shotgun is a 130 years old and works as fine today as it would have a 100 years ago.

True the metal alloy technology wasn't as great as it is today, but steel like that doesn't fatigue with age and they are exceptionally well built buggers designed to hold the high gas pressures of the 30-06, so I say if the price is right its well worth getting for a piece of authentic history of a ww1 rifle thats been past down through the years.

Just do the usual headspace checks, check the barrel and the crown and all the stuff like that which any competent gunsmith will do and you have an excellent rifle. You may send it to me if you really so wish. I promise not to complain.

Gewehr98

If it's a true 1917 Springfield manufacture date...

You're into the low-number Springfields, with the brittle receivers caused from improper heat treat. It might be a good gun for light cast bullet loads, but I'd go no further than that. :(

TheEgg

You need to check the serial number. If it is at or below 800,000, do not fire. It should be used as a wall hanger only.