Olbermann and Matthews demoted

whippoorwill

Excellent news! Not what they provided... the fact that they're out.

Especially Olbermann. I've never seen someone so full of himself, anger, hate, and fear. Someone's bound to equate him with Rush. I'm not a fan of Rush, but I don't believe he ever claimed to be an objective media analyst.

black

If Obama gets elected, these 2 will be on short list for white house spokesperson and propaganda minister.

JWT

Mmmmm - maybe there is some concern about at least some objectivity in the broadcast media. Olbermann, in particular, is a poster child for an opinionated, biased, obnoxious newsperson?? who loves Obama almost as much as he loves himself.

Well deserved demotions indeed.

madmag

Great news. Olberman would not know hard news if it hit him on the head in the form of a two ton boulder. Well, for him maybe Palin's nomination was kinda like getting hit with a two ton boulder.:D

O6nop

This is good news, I watch them just to get a kick out of them, but all too often, they get me riled up.
To be fair, I think they should do the same to Sean Hannity. He's just as closed minded as the others and he makes smear-like comments and attacks just as bad. I think that type of commentary on a cable network is unprofessional and unnecessary.
I wish he would take that stupid pen out of his hand, even when he shakes peoples hands, it's there. That bugs the heck out of me.

JWT

At least part of the time Hannity is on FOX he has Alan Combs to offset his views. Olberman preached unopposed.

FireMax

Wow. So it wasn't just me that thought they were practicing Obama worship at the DNC convention then. Cool.

sasquatch

O6nop
To be fair, I think they should do the same to Sean Hannity.

Sean Hannity, though I find him annoying at times, doesn't profess to be a "news journalist". He calls himself a conservative talk show host, and is totally honest about not being considered a journalist. Neither Olbermann nor Matthews are/were that honest.

Why should commentators like Sean Hannity or Rush or Mark Levin be fired for what they do?

Buzzcook

Olberman was replaced by a reliable republican, David Gregory.

Can't have a guy who agrees with the American public about Bush and his war.

black

David Gregory? funny... got something to back up the claim that America is against "Bush and his war". You've obviously listened to Olberman too much.

JuanCarlos

Olbermann is a hack, despite the fact that he may be right every now and again (and he is). If you're trying to maintain any semblance of objectivity, you wouldn't let the guy anywhere near your "real" election coverage. Let him have his talking-head show, and toss jabs at O'Reilly. He's fairly decent at it. But please, let's not give the guy the idea that he's a journalist.

Are these guys loosing their shows or are they simply not being chosen to cover the presidential debates? I have never seen Olbermann's show but I did not mind Matthews too much.

JuanCarlos

Are these guys loosing their shows or are they simply not being chosen to cover the presidential debates? I have never seen Olbermann's show but I did not mind Matthews too much.

Matthews is more of the just-"plain ineffectual type," rather than the "knee jerk partisan hack" type. Though I'm not sure Gregory is much better at that point. And as far as I know they're still being kept on the network, they just won't be anchoring election coverage.

Oh, and I'd just keep avoiding Olbermann's show. I figure if you can watch him or O'Reilly without repeatedly smacking yourself in the forehead there's got to be something wrong with you. I watched his show for a brief time, and despite the fact that he occasionally makes a good point or says something worth hearing, it's just not worth it. It's like diving into a sea of raw sewage in the hopes of finding a Hershey bar...even if you do find it, by then you probably won't want it anymore.

Oh, and I'd just keep avoiding Olbermann's show. I figure if you can watch him or O'Reilly without repeatedly smacking yourself in the forehead there's got to be something wrong with you.
I doubt I will be watching him. When I want to scream at the TV against right wing wackos I will watch to O'Reilly. When I want to scream at the radio at a left wing loon I will listen to Randy Rhodes. No need to add another aggravation to my day.

I am just curious. How is this a "demotion" if they are not loosing their own slots but just not getting extra duties?

JuanCarlos

I am just curious. How is this a "demotion" if they are not loosing their own slots but just not getting extra duties?

I haven't really been keeping track of MSNBC, so I'm not exactly sure what it is they were doing, but in general anchoring election coverage is going to be a more high-profile position and look better on the resume than just having their own shows. Any hack can get a timeslot on a 24-hour news network...they have space to kill.

The first post has a link. RIF.
I did...i do not see anywhere it says this is a demotion. Is he getting a paycut? Losing his parking space? losing his own show? Or is he just not going to be covering the debates? Seems like a different person covers the debates all the time.

sasquatch

MSNBC is replacing Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews as co-anchors of political night coverage ...........and will use the two newsmen as commentators.

Well, going from "anchor" to "commentator" would appear to be a demotion. But maybe that's just my interpretation.

And the NYT says:

Mr. Olbermann and Mr. Matthews will remain as analysts during the coverage