Okay, what do I have????

jar

It's a Colt. Last patent date is July 4, 1905. Serial numbers all match and are 88xxx. It has a custom front sight and grips. The emblem inlaid in the grips appears to be gold. Signs of hand wok on the grips, paticularly inside.

standard.jpg

jar

I think the serial number (only five digits) is pre New Service. But what is the emblem???

Scarborough

Does look like a New Service. The emblem is the Great Seal of the United States. Not to be fussy but could you flip that gun over for a look at the other side? Very nice gun.

The BIG question is, what is the caliber?

That will go a long way toward helping determine a specific model.

I'd say chances of that being a factory Colt barrel original to the gun's period are about 0.

Penman

Barrel profile doesn't match the tapered look of that period, front sight looks like a ramped unit for a rifle. Still a nice looking gun, caliber info would help.

jar

Tamara

I don't understand it. That wasn't in the picture when I took it. How could it ever happen? Maybe I need to contact the Enquirer. ;)

But I do know what the knife is. It's an early Gilbreath. Has the fancy scrolled G that he used later on his automatics.

Back to revolver.

Yes, the barrel is most likely a rebarrel, but is definitely a Colt factory barrel. The barrel carries the July 4, 1905 patent date.

jar

I got some e-mail from someone who says that he is a retires Colt Armourer. He had an interesting tale, that if true, explains everything.

The best info I've gotten yet was e-mail from a gentleman whe says he is a retired Colt Armourer. He says that the frame was most likely a New Service made in 1903 based on the serial number. He said it was not unusual to have frames sitting around on shelves for years. I guess they just pulled from the front of the shelf and so some older ones might just sit back there.

He said the barrel looked like the ones for the "Improved New Service" that came out in 1905. That was also the year that the 45acp Cartridge was first introduced. It was designed by John Browning and based on a modified 38 super.

There were, according to him, some revolvers chambered for the cartridge as well as what later became the 1911. Both were submitted to the Army for evaluation beginning in 1906. He thought that this might well be one of those early test guns which would account for it not having any model designation on the butt of the frame, for the non-standard barrel and sights, for the trigger and extractor work and for the modified, but not presentation quality, grips.

Anyway, true or not it's an interesting story and a mystery that's unlikely to ever be solved. Sure does shoot sweet though.