Okay, Smith&Wesson fanatics read this and tell me how I did.

uglygun

Bought two guns here in California today, I think I did pretty darned well considering that old N-framed S&W revolvers are going to become RARE!

First off, I'm buying old guns because I like the classic blued N-frames. The new stainless guns of S&W really kinda turn my stomach and they just aren't what I associate with the name "Smith&Wesson"

The impressive thing is that means here in California every single gun I want from S&W and the ones I just purchased absolutely have to be consignment or personal transfer guns because the way SB15 is worded, if it ain't on the approval list it can't be sold by a dealer to a occupant of the People's Republic of Kalifornia. I've already seen people doing a bit of gouging on these types of S&W revolvers because they are aware that you can't find the things anymore, saw a M28 357 Mag sell for 430 dollars the other day and even though it was about 98+% condition it didn't have it's original box and it was just about 80 dollars more than I was willing to pay.

So here is what I managed to get into today

First gun that I decided I absolutely must have, a absolutely NEW IN BOX 125th anniversary M25-3 45LongColt with a 6 1/2 inch barrel that came with: a presentation case, a 125th anniversary collectable booklet, and what must be a 125th anniversary collectable coin, and the original anniversary documentation. Price as quoted? 550 dollars, after taxes and fees it will be 610 dollars out the door when I go back to pick it up in 10 days. This gun and all it's goodies was still packaged in it's original shipping box without ever being opened, it was like christmas sitting there watching the box get opened for the very first time and carefully pulling out all the little "gifts" for the first time.

Second gun, a 4 inch barreled M29-3 that is absolutely new in box. This gun doesn't excite me quite as much but it's likely going to make a fine shooter and that is what my intended use is for. Price out the door, 670 dollars but I'll be having to sign the paperwork in another 30 days from today since Ca. has a 1 handgun per month law.

Only thing that could have possibly made me any happier was if both guns were -2 types with pinned barrels and recessed chambers on the 44Magnum, but I ain't gonna whine or complain considering that both of the guns I bought today were in my opinion entirely reasonably priced especially considering the situation that exists in California that opens the door fo price gouging on these guns that are no longer produced and thanks to Ca. can't be brought into the state(not come from one dealer out of state to a dealer in state then be sold) since they aren't on the approval list.

Just thought I'd relay the story. Also, I'd like to know a little bit more about the 125th Anniversary M25 that I bought if anyone could help me out, like what the actual value of it is as I'm pretty certain it's worth more than I paid.

Last edited:

uglygun

Yeah, I agree if you're talking about the way things are going for Californians with respects to gun laws.

As a result of living in Ca. what is considered a "deal" in this state is likely not so much of a deal in any other state. For NIB I think I paid some fairly decent prices especially when compared what the current crop of S&W revolvers are going for no matter which state they are retailing in. The M29 price was reasonable to me when all of the California factors are weighed in as well as the fact that blued M29s were discontinued and only the stainless guns remain, price out the door for this NIB M29 was still lower than I'd expect to pay retail for any current M629. I'm happy there soley because I got what I wanted.

The 125th Anniversary/Commemorative M25 however, I'm waiting for somebody with some literature to tell me more about it.

Last edited:

skeeter

Uglygun I have a LNIB S&W 29-2 (pinned and recessed) 4" nickle that has been stored in a safe for almost since I bought it in 1972. There is not a mark on the gun or stock though the wood presentation box does have a couple small dings. The nickle is bright and shiney as is the bore. The gun is currently stored in Oakland- is that near you? Now that it is a collector I do not want to shoot it so I am selling it.I also have original bill of sale, manuel, all tools,and even outer cardboard box that the presentation box goes into. E-mail me if interested. I will be in Ca soon.

uglygun

Thanks for the offer but I've got a 29 that I think I'll be pretty happy with, the 29 I picked up today is definitely for shooting and I only wish it were a 29-2 for my own little preferences and tastes not for the purposes of collecting but just because I like -2 guns more. The 29-3 that I got today will likely make me just as happy as a shooter.

The 25 that I got today will likely be my collector piece, I really liked it quite a bit upon seeing it.

There were a few 29-2 nickel plated guns today if I recall correctly, I passed on them cause much like stainless the nickel guns aren't my fancy.