Okay, Another SA Revolver Question (Maybe The Last One)

Joe_Pike

I've been looking on and off for a SA revolver. I've asked a few questions here and have received some good advice, but I still haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. I guess it's because I'm not as quick to spend money as I used to be since it seems to be a lot more difficult to come across these days. However, I still have that itch once in a while.

I was really wanting a Sheriff's model with a birdshead grip but I found this one this week (bottom gun)

FrntrSB.jpg

and it seems to be at a reasonable price. It's a Cimarron (Pietta) Frontier model PP332 in .45LC.

It's a used gun and they want $359. By used, they mean it was purchased by a guy that couldn't figure out how to remove the cylinder and wanted his money back. He's a good customer of the store, so, they obliged. They believe the gun has never been fired.

My question is do any of you have this gun and, if so, what do you think of it? The gun shop guy said that he really likes them. He says that Rugers are great guns, but to him the Cimarrons feel more Colt-like to him. I don't know if that means anything to me or not as I'm more interested in the overall quality of the gun.

McShooty

I am thinking that the Cimmarons are actually made by Uberti, rather than Pietta. Generally they are of good quality. The price is OK for an unfired piece. I have a Model P Junior .32 H&R/.32-20 combo that is very nicely finished and works very well. With a Ruger Black Hawk you would get adjustable sights, which can be nice if you experiment with handloads.

Sarge

The Cimarron will indeed handle and feel more like a Colt; but it is, for all intents and purposes, a five-shooter due to its lack of a transfer bar safety mechanism.

Depending on your eventual use of the sixgun, the ability to safely load six rounds might be advantageous. If it is a primary consideration, the New Vaquero might suit you better. It is in no way a Colt SAA clone, however.

The Beretta Stampede is the nearest thing I know of, to being a dead Colt clone with a transfer bar. CDNN has had them at reasonable prices, from time to time.

gak

McShooty said:
"I am thinking that the Cimmarons are actually made by Uberti, rather than Pietta."

I was thinking the same but, in looking at the Cimarron site, the Frontier Model appears to be a new line for them and is indeed Pietta. Not necessarily a bad thing (as Uberti isn't either) and, in fact, IF it's the same basic gun as what Pietta's been selling as EMF's "Great Western II" it's supposed to be the equal or better of the nicer Ubertis. In reading a comment in another forum, it looks like Cimarron may even be mixing manufacturers (from one gun to another) on *some* models that were only Model P (Uberti) variants before such as at least one model of the Man With No Name line. I see that, for Cimarron, their Uberti (Model P) line continues to offer a wider selection of calibers.

I'll +1 the comment that these Italian Colt SAA clones--Uberti or Pietta--are closer to the Colts than Rugers are in action design, feel and finishes. OTOH as stated, among mainstream non-Rugers, only the Beretta-labeled Ubertis have the transfer bar permitting a safe full "six up" (Taurus did too but are not Italian and, IIRC, are now pretty much defunct), but some have claimed issues regarding reliability of the small bits of their tranfer bar parts if used heavily.

IMO, the Ruger's the one to get if the Colt action-feel aspect is not critical, but still wanting a "Colt looking and handling" firearm that's tough as nails. I've got all of these (except Pietta), including previously mentioned USFAs. They're all excellent shooters. I don't have anything bad to say about any of them (the USFAs especially being everything folks including a poster here say about them) and are the ones that get "admired" the most off the range,...but the Rugers are the ones I'd stake my life on. They're the "working" SAs that accompany me hunting, camping or just trailin'.

Last edited:

HiBC

You had first mentioned a birdshead.The Cimmarron Thunderer is really nice.
Very compact,and they hold nice for me.A cowboy shooter friend has had a pair for several years and his have been trouble free.

They are not real easy to find,but I just bought a 4 5/8 Ruger Bisley Lipsey Special in 44 spl.Its made on a 357 flattop frame.

If you choose a SAA clone,I would stick to original load sort of pressures.I do not suggest any +P loading.The Ruger is a little stronger.Ross Seifred has an article you can find if you search "Lipsey Special".

madcratebuilder

I've owned dozens of Uberti and Pietta SA's. These are fine revolvers and the quality just keeps getting better. I would recommend you buy a Ruger SA. My personal favorite is the Vaquero, but the New Vaquero is closer to the original Colt design. Having a transfer bar is a important safety consideration. With all the parts available today the Ruger can be built in to any configuration.

ISP 5353

I have a Cimarron Sheriff's model with a birdshead grip. It has been and excellent CAS shooter and I have been very pleased with it.

gvw3

RUGER

If you want the Colt feel and look buy a Colt. Take care of it and you will never lose money on it.

I would go with the Ruger if you want a shooter. 1/2 the price of Colt and better safety with the bar.

In the state of IL I think the Italian SA revolvers are outlawed. I may be wrong but I don't see them in the gun shops. Cabela's had one in the counter and pulled it. They had a sign stating not legal for sale???

Coogs

+1 on the Ruger. I have a pair of "old model" Vaquero's in .44-40. They are built well, and used, old or new model Vaquero's, can usually be had at a decent price.Coogs.

Shotgun693

My new Model P is a truer copy of the Colt.
JSYK, I've been a Cop for 35+ years. I'm qualified to carry a Colt SAA or Clone while off duty. I don't feel under armed with one even with just 5 shots. I learned years ago that one good shot is worth many poor shots and that 'Die Hard' is just a movie.

Hawg

Cimarron started selling Pietta 73's about a year ago I think. It hasn't been very long anyway. If you want the look and feel of a Colt without spending the money for one get a clone and Cimarron IMHO sells the best. Ruger is a great gun but it's nothing like a Colt other than a resemblance. It doesn't really look like a Colt up close, it doesn't feel like a Colt and it doesn't work like a Colt.

McShooty

I did not know that some Cimmarons are now being made by Pietta. Thanks for filling me in. I also have a couple Pietta percussion Colt replicas, and they seem to be good quality.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Addressing ONLY the question of "feel", the only SAA clone that actually feels to me like a pre-WWII Colt is the USFA. The modern Colts just don't have the same feel.

Jim