Ok, well, now conidering a Hi Point C9.. Am I crazy?!

AdrianVall

I know, I know... a LOT of people hate Hi Point, but a LOT of people strongly suggest them due to low price, and great reliability backed by a life time warranty.

I had my mind all set on buying the Bersa Thunder 9mm Ultra Compact at the gun show tomorrow, but now that I've been reading more and more on the Hi Point C9, it seems like a very strong option for the money, and I'll be able to buy an crap load of ammo and maybe a holster for it.. And possibly, if cheap enough, I may be able to buy some other type of hand gun for concealing purposes. I'll make the hi point my in home protection gun/range gun.

Damn damn damn..... so many freakin' options to choose from.

stickhauler

Crazy? Nope, but you won't want to use it as a carry gun, they are clunky and heavy, with limited magazine capacity. But they're a great gun for the price.

I don't know if you've shot one yet, but be prepared for the weight of the slide going back, it's a "blow-back" design firearm, and limp wristing is very common if you're not ready for it. When my son first shot his Bersa after shooting the Hi Point for quite a while, he thought the sights were off on the Bersa, as his shots were hitting all over the target. I tried it, and hit consistently in the bullseye, then watched him to see if I could find out what he was doing wrong. Real quick I saw he was anticipating the recoil from a Hi Point, and slightly moving his hand to the left just as the trigger was ready to "break", throwing his rounds all over the target. Once he started paying attention to that issue, he had no more problems with hitting the black consistently.

Buy it and try it out, I think you'll be happy with it, if you aren't, there's a couple of Hi Point forums where there are people more than happy to take it off your hands. And I can assure you, there's no company I know of that has better customer service than Hi Point.

FALacy

I don't like guns made out of pot metal, nor do I trust my life to them. For the same price I could get a CZ 82, which is an extremely accurate, reliable pistol.

christcorp

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to shoot it for plinking and to have fun, it's a great gun. If you want to have it in your house to use in case of a break in, it's a great gun. If you want to keep it in the garage, truck, tackle box, etc.... in case of a scenario where you might need a gun, then it's a great gun. if you want to carry it as a side arm; concealed or open carry; then it's not a great gun.

Magazine capacity is not an option. It can't be. If it were, then all the 1911A1, all revolvers, and many other guns would be out of the picture. But it is indeed bulking and heavy; and that makes for a terrible carry gun. Some people say they carry it, but that's usually people that literally can't afford a 2nd gun. It's a true striker fire gun, which means the firing pin is pulled back under tension of the spring. Even with safeties, this is not ideal for carry purposes. (Basically, cocked and locked is not ideal on this gun. Therefor carrying isn't the most ideal). But for all other uses other than for carrying; e.g. home defense, vehicle, camping, plinking, etc... it's a fantastic gun.

P.S. Falacy: I suggest reading the article by shooting times. http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/
Especially before going off about a gun you probably don't know too much about. e.g. a quote from the review:

These are die cast from an aluminum/zinc alloy with steel inserts reinforcing the entire breech area and other stress points.

So it's not all pot metal like you want to think it is. Anyway, read the review for yourself.

Last edited:

stickhauler

I own a Hi Point C-9, it has better than 1,200 rounds down the tube with no problems other than it hates WWB ammo, anything else feeds fine. It does what a firearm is supposed to do, when you pull the trigger, it goes bang, and the round goes where you intend it to go. Do I say it's a perfect gun? Nope, heavy and clunky. Would I trust it to continue to do as it has through 1,200 rounds if I needed it to defend me and mine. Hell yes!

I love the "pot metal" cracks, look around the internet, you'll find pictures of failures of the metal in most any brand firearm, some even those high priced fancy guns that folks own and claim there's nothing better.

The haters of Hi Points truly crack me up, I've even seen them say that if their only choice to defend their family was a Hi Point and a sharp stick, they'd opt to use the sharp stick. Let me know how that logic works out for you.

Elvishead

AdrianVall

I had my mind all set on buying the Bersa Thunder 9mm Ultra Compact at the gun show tomorrow,

I like that idea better, but if your just trying to be cheap as possble, the Hi-point will "work".:rolleyes: And I'm not a gun snob.

And they're so funny looking! ILMFAOOL the first time I saw one in person.:D

Honestly, I'd look for a S&W SW9VE Sigma with two 16 round mags with a $50 mail in rebate.

CajunBass

I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine. I can't say it's never jammed, but I can't say that about many guns I've owned either. For the money the Hi-Point ain't bad.

Sure if you spend "just a little more" you can find something better. You can say that about anything most likely.

Elvishead

CajunBass

I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine.

So you put $300 of ammo in a $200 gun?:D

After I bought my $350 Semi, and I put about $500 of ammo to get used to that trigger. Kind of backwards thinking you don't say. I still like the gun though.

christcorp

So you put $300 of ammo in a $200 gun?

There is not one gun out there that you won't spend more money on ammo, then what the gun is worth. Not unless you're one of these dangerous people who buy a gun for home defense, put the gun in a drawer, and have NEVER shot the thing is literally years or decades. I watched a woman come into the gun shop, pick out a revolver, and "WANTED" the gun dealer to load it for her. He said he'd show here how. She said she just needed it loaded once because it would be at home just in case. The gun dealer was 3 syllables from telling her he wouldn't sell her the gun.

So even my sig p220, I've more than enough times over spent more money on ammo than the gun. So what is you logic to your question about putting $300 worth of ammo in a $200 gun???

roaddog28

Nothing wrong with a Hi Point C9. I have one I bought used from a pawn shop and have not had a problem. The gun goes bang every time. Its fairly accurate too. I consider the gun to be a good starter pistol or for someone that wants a in expense gun to plink with and have fun. Its a good value for way under $200.00. And if you scratch the gun you won't lose any sleep over it. The gun is butt ugly and heavy on the top. A person can put hundreds of rounds through the gun and upgrade later to a better gun and not worry about not getting there moneys worth out of the Hi Point. I see beginners get talked into a gun costing $500 to $600 because of a smooth talking gun salesman and wind up either selling the gun because they did not like it or worse sticking the gun in a safe. To me the Hi Point is a good start for a beginner. It the beginner finds that they do not like shooting after all there is not a big loss.

So there is a place for a gun like the Hi Point.

Good luck,
roaddog28

Elvishead

Nothing wrong with a Hi Point C9. I have one I bought used from a pawn shop and have not had a problem.

Somebody actually pawned a Hi Point? They must have bought him lunch at McDonalds! LOL:D:D:D

christcorp

There are plenty of used hi-points available. Even sometimes at a pawn shop. I bought a used Hi-point C-9mm from my local gun shop for $50. Our gun shop won a police auction of about 150 guns the police/sheriff had confiscated over a period of time. Some were involved in crimes, but most were simply people who weren't allowed to have a gun and had it confiscated. And with Hi-point's #1 customer service and warranty, buying the C-9mm was a no brainer. I sent it to hi-point for a complete check out and to look at a couple minor issues I noticed. They had it turned around and sent back to me in 3 days after receiving it. Got it back in almost as new condition. With all the posts around about such and such a gun is the "Best". I can honestly say that of 5 different gun manufacturers I've dealt with; Hi-point has the "Best" customer service and warranty policy.

So yes, you can find some used Hi-Points. It's difficult because it is inexpensive enough that selling them won't yield much. Plus, they're inexpensive enough that a person is better off keeping it for protection being they probably need something. But once in a while a person pawns one or is forced to sell one. And that is the best deal of all. Better than a new one. It's a definite no lose purchase. Buy it used, send it hi-point for a good checkout, get your gun returned in excellent condition; and they send you a free magazine to cover the cost you spent sending them the gun. What's there not to like.

Somebody actually pawned a Hi Point? They must have bought him lunch at McDonalds! LOL

Out of curiosity, I asked the shop I bought my C9 from what they would give me for it, and the guy said he could slip me a twenty, since he liked me.:D

You're not going to find a better gun for $150. That said, don't get that and then another gun later for carry. Spend a little more on the Bersa (or even a Taurus 709 or something) for carry. Your Bersa carry can function as your home defense gun as well.

Uncle Ben

I believe you'll be happy with it, especially for a first gun.
If you already have a decent gun and were just adding the hipoint, then it may be worth it to save up and get something a little better.

The C9 (9mm) was my first gun, and I did not have the time to wait to save, or I would have been unarmed in my home, which was no longer acceptable to me at the time.

There are better guns, but usually for more money...in some cases a lot more money, and in other cases for a little more money when you buy used.

With all that said, I truly do like the C9 and I don't regret buying it. The unconditional lifetime warranty makes it easy to not regret this purchase. Even with better guns in the collection I doubt I will ever sell it.

Last edited:

christcorp

There are different types of people with different needs. Let's "Pretend" that a handgun was a car.

There are some people that can only afford 1 gun. They and their spouse, if applicable, might car-pool to work. It's used to go grocery shopping. Used to take a weekend trip. It's their one and only car. So; they try and make it a "Practical" car. A pickup might not work, nor would a corvette. Not good for taking mary to ballet and the wife/husband to work, etc... So maybe they get an impala or a mini-van. For the one and only gun; to go back into perspective, I ALWAYS, AND WITHOUT EXCEPTION, say that your first and only gun (Until others can be bought/offered, should be a revolver in the 357 magnum range. You can get ammo as light as equal to a 380, all the way up to punching through cars. You can find the right ammo for anyone possibly shooting it. It will be the simplest to learn, practice, and feed. It's almost idiot proof. The revolver in 357 magnum should ALWAYS BE YOUR FIRST GUN if it's going to be a multi-purpose gun.

Now, there are some that can afford to have more than one car. There's only me and my wife, yet we have an F250 pickup, explorer, toyota camry, '66 mustang, and motorcycle. When you can afford to have more than one vehicle, you can make those vehicles more specific in their purpose. As with a gun; I can afford to have any gun on the planet that I want. And I can have as many of them as I want. And I can buy them without any waiting or interference. So I have different guns for different purposes. And for me, the hi-point C-9 definitely has a purpose. And I trust it to do what it's suppose to do. But is it ALSO my carry gun? NWIH. Is it the gun in my night-stand? NWIH. Could it be? Yes, but I don't want it to be that type of gun. That all in one 357 magnum revolver I mentioned; that's the night-stand gun. Simple; no thinking required; point-and-click. Very important at 2:30am when you're half asleep. For carry; I want something smaller, lighter, and faster.

Point is, the hi-point is a fantastic gun. Would I recommend it as a person's very 1st gun? That depends on what they want from a gun. If they can't/won't be using it for carry; and it's mostly just in the house; and it's their one and only gun just for defense; then it's a fine choice. Personally, I still recommend a revolver in 357 magnum for the 2am situation. But that has nothing to do with hi-point. If a person told me they could get a glock from a friend for $150 or a S&W 357 magnum revolver for $200; and they wanted a pretty much all around gun for numerous situations, I'd still recommend the revolver. But if you're bent on a semi-auto, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the hi-point c-9.

So for a very first gun, I ALWAYS recommend the revolver in 357 magnum. (Ammo as light/heavy and you want/need). Gun #2 and up; definitely a hi-point or anything else you want. And never let a glock-head or other high priced gun snob convince you that their gun is better because it costs $400 more. It isn't better because of the price. Their gun might be better at certain things than your hi-point, but that's the same with all guns. The hi-point was definitely NOT DESIGNED to be a concealed carry gun. (Some do, but it wasn't designed for it). So in that case a small glock might be "Better", but only as a concealed weapon. Not because it's a "GLOCK". It's better because it's smaller, lighter, and easier to use for that purpose. Definitely be proud of the hi-point. They are fantastic gun. They have some excellent uses for it. There are also some things I wouldn't use it for. Know your limitations.

Sixer

And never let a glock-head or other high priced gun snob convince you that their gun is better because it costs $400 more. It isn't better because of the price.

... but it is better.

I am all for low prices... and price is not always an indicator of quality. I have to say though, if you could swing an extra $200 - $250 for a Glock, S&W, almost any revolver, etc. then you are making a better choice.

There is no snobbery involved here... and even though price is not ALWAYS an indicator of quality, in the Hi-Point's case I believe it is. Is a good value? Sure! Is it in a class of it's own? You bet. Is there anything a HiPoint can do that a higher priced gun can't? Yes... anchor a small boat :D

Win

I have both of the guns under consideration and if you have the money for the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro, it's definitely the better, more versatile, gun.

Of course the Bersa costs considerably more, so the two are not very comparable. It seems like my C9 was $139, and my 9 UC Pro was $370, both bought locally in the last six months.

This is nothing against the High Point - I like them and have a JHP at arms reach in my desk as I type. Hi Points are great value for the money.

Bersa's are also great value for the money, imo.

Best regards to all.

lawman1990

Don't ever buy a gun because it's cheap, remember, you get what you pay for. Save your money and get yourself a good reliable handgun, do the research and find the one that best fits your needs.

TheFella

you get what you pay for?

Just because you get what you pay for doesnt mean Hi Points are garbage.... they look like a brick but that doesnt mean they dont go bang every time. and thats whats important

dont let em discourage you! youll be happy if you get a hi point!