Ok to shoot 38 Spec in 357 magnum??

OneFreeTexan

I'm looking at a used S & W revolver in 357 magnum. From all the ammo that was stored with it, seems the previous owner (now deceased) only shot 38 special through it. Is that okay?

Brasso

Not to be a smart #Q@$ but there are probably half a million posts on this subject.

To answer your question, yes, it's absolutely safe to shoot .38spl in a .357mag. The only thing you have to look out for is when you switch back to .357mag after shooting .38spl. The shorter .38spl case with leave carbon fouling rings in the cylinder that will interfere with the loading and/or ejecting of .357mag cases, so clean the cylinders good before switching between calibers.

lil_bro

Just be absolutely sure that it is a .357 mag revolver and that you clean it good and you should not have any problems.

Michael.

senior

Member In Memoriam
38/357

another question is, can you shoot 38 special in a 357 sig auto model 2022, darn ammo is a killer to just practice with, oopps, sorry, meant can 40 cal be used in place of 357 sig and would it require different barrel?

yorec

38 spl in 357 sig... Couldn't if you tried - not even remotely the same size except the diameter. If you can fit a 38 spl in your 357 sig, take it to a gunsmith for a checkup - somethin's very wrong.

fisherman66

Just for clarity.... don't shoot .357mags in a dedicated 38 special only gun.

Normally I'd assume this is common knowledge; but I'd rather say it now instead of wishing I did after something goes awry.

The .357 Sig is a different beast altogher and wears the .357 name for marketing purposes (A liability in my opinion - but it is probably the most common marketing ploy in the ammo business).