OK, so I'm a weenie

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
At the EOSM, I had a chance to shoot a dog, and passed it up.

Granted, it was with a Super Soaker, and the dog was Futo Inu's futo inu (a gigantic Akita who probably would have appreciated it).

Futo even gave me permission. And yet, and yet...

I literally couldn't pull the trigger. With a freakin' water gun!

I don't think the deer up in the hills are worried about running into me. ;)

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I've had several encounters with unwanted (and probably a few feral) dogs on deer leases. Aside from a few 9mm rounds next to them to hasten their departure, no kills.

Dogs are imprinted in my hair covered computer as pets. Deer equal eats.

Giz

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
From age six to age 14, I lived on a farm/ranch just outside Austintatious. My grandparents acted as though what they did for food, there, was normal: Ya want chicken for dinner? Go kill a chicken. The same sort of thing for bacon and ham. Or turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I learned all about doctoring for the larva of screw-worm flies, which infest any wound. Navel of newborn calves, scrotum after castration, horn-bases after de-horning. Ain't purty. Any even-slightly-scratched wildlife died. (The screw-worm eradication program was part of the cause of Texas' wildlife population explosion.)

This story, I've told before; please bear with me: Around age 12, my dog got to killing a neighbor's turkeys. We did all the usual curative measures, to no avail. Now, in those days, the idea of paying a vet to do what you could do for yourself was considered somewhere between childishly foolish and indicative of great wealth. So, it was considered my responsibility to kill my dog. And I did.

I don't think I'm mean-spirited about any part of "the outdoors". I do believe I have a better understanding of the harsh realities than most folks, and am far more pragmatic.

Now, I've had pets for most of my life. I'd probably squirt a dog once, with a water pistol. I think I'd probably do it only once--unless the dog really appeared to enjoy it--because it would strike me as going beyond "just a joke". Once can be funny; two or three times can get to be harassment...

But I have no trouble whatsoever differentiating between pets and feral animals. I have no particular emotions regarding ferals, other than to regret their existence--some human "threw them away".

I note that the local humane society has trapped some 73 feral housecats in the adjacent 20 or so acres around my wife's house.

Pardon the wordiness.

Art

bergie

WEENIE, WEENIE, WEENIE ;)

Actually, I don't think I would have done it unless I KNEW ABSOLUTELY that the Akita would like it. Some dogs just don't know what fun is. For others, it is a great game, trying to pounce on and bite at a stream of water, on a hot day it is even better than a kid tossing a ball or frisbee.
Hunting is a completely different thing than shooting a dog, even if it is just a water gun.
I don't think you will have any problem shooting a deer (unless you've watched Bambi too many times) as long as you can keep the adreniline rush, shakes, heart rate and breathing increases that often accompany one's first time under control. Nah, when that big buck strolls into range, completely unaware that there is a human in the area, I bet you won't even be able to hold that darn heavy old Enfield steady, forget to take the safety off, and almost straighten out the curve in the trigger trying to pull it as your sights wobble back and forth across the length of his body. ;) When you do get off the first shot - which will go about five feet wide, you will short stroke the bolt and jam up your rifle, accidently drop the mag and lose it while trying to clear the jam, all the while the buck is standing there wondering what is going on until he hears you swearing up a storm and disappears into the trees. After this happens you will either give up in disgust, or become totally addicted. (Been there, done that, anybody that says they haven't is either a better man than me, or a liar, I vote for liar) Nope, the deer don't have much to fear. :D

Sounds like I missed a lot of fun.
bergie

Eric of IN

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coinneach:

I literally couldn't pull the trigger. With a freakin' water gun!
[/quote]

Couldn't shoot the dog, but the humans were fair game.
Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric of IN (edited August 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Eric of IN (edited August 23, 2000).]

Field-dressed

Nah, not sick at all. Humans know that getting hosed with a super-soaker is done in good humor (usually). Depending on the dog, he might think he's being punished or attacked. My old chessie thinks getting sprayed is great fun.

Here in Alaska it's legal to shoot dogs that are running/harassing game, don't even have to be feral. One of my collegues killed a wolf-hybrid that had killed a moose and was feeding on it (he saw the collar so knew it wasn't a wolf). The media made a big deal about it but the public mostly agreed that it was a very naughty dog and justly dispatched.

------------------
Dave

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock".
Bumper Sticker

BadMedicine

"One of my collegues killed a wolf-hybrid that had killed a moose and was feeding on it (he saw the collar so knew it wasn't a wolf). The media made a big deal about it"

I can agree with field dressed, They had coverage on this story for like a week and articles in the gripe columns long after. What field dressed didn't mention is that the guy was a cop (state trooper if I remember right?) And had a call about some dogs that had killed a moose. He was doing his job, not just some neighborhood hot shot :)

Field-dressed

badmedicine - not a cop but the area wildlife biologist in ADF&G. Even though he was justified, he had to lay low for awhile after that one!

paratrooper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Field-dressed:
Here in Alaska it's legal to shoot dogs that are running/harassing game, don't even have to be feral. One of my collegues killed a wolf-hybrid that had killed a moose and was feeding on it (he saw the collar so knew it wasn't a wolf). The media made a big deal about it but the public mostly agreed that it was a very naughty dog and justly dispatched.[/quote]

I remember seeing packs of dogs around Eagle River . I asked about it and was told they were mostly sled dogs that had escaped or got separated . They were beautiful animals but wilder than a hooker on G.I. payday . :eek:

------------------
TOM
SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA GOA

boing

I almost never hit my dogs when they're "bad" (or just bein' they bad selves). I used water sprayer bottles with the adjustable nozzles, half a dozen or more strategically located around the house. You don't even have to get out of your chair, just point and squirt, like a Doggie-Don't Remote Control. It's also a little less personal than smacking 'em, so they're less likely to associate the approach of your hand with punishment.

One day the wife brought home a Super Soaker for the thick furred dogs. Armor piercing H20.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Gettin' halfway back to where this thread started: Folks used to ask me how, with a couple of pet deer in the yard, could I go out and shoot Bambi?

Simple, sez me. From January 1st to opening day, it's "Bambi", with big brown eyes, long slender legs and graceful movements...During the Season, it's backstrap butterflies for breakfast, rumproast on the barbecue, chili meat and spaghetti sauce. In a word, FOOD!

:), Art

P.S. Backstrap butterflies: Cut backstrap into 3/4" pieces. Cut each piece almost fully in half, leaving just enough uncut so you have the butterfly shape. Don't aske me why you do it that way; it's just the way you do it! Use whatever sort of batter YOU like for fried chicken, but add a smidgin or so of French's good ol' hot-dog mustard. Drop in boiling grease until "medium" or "medium-well". If you don't overdose (or run out of meat), you ain't fit to breathe my air!

:), A.

P.P.S. First, catch a deer!

:), A.

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited August 24, 2000).]

DorGunR

Art,
You Sir, are my kind of people. :D
Never tried Backstrap butterflies, but they sound great!

Take care. :)

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

BadMedicine

They cut backstrap into butterflies on smaller animals such as lamb. If you ordered(and paid for) fillet minon, and they brought you some little stinkin piece, you'd be bent right? but the back starp on smaller animalls (not cow, but deer, and anything else medium size) isn't very big. So you cut it twice as thick as you want your steak, cut almost all the way through, down to the sinew, and then unfold it. This lets you dictate how you want to cook your meat alot better too. If you have an inch and a half steak, it's pretty much either going to be red in the middle, or dried-out. The down side is that there is a piece of grisel (sinew)running down the middle. We ussually don't do butterflies, unless anticipating company. Two small pieces of fillet minon taste like one big piece to me. I guess the resturaunts beg to differ :)
P.S. Shoot an Elk, Backstrap is bigger.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I wouldn't have shot the Akita either. A lot of dogs equate getting squirted as punishment. It would royally confuse the dog. Now, the Akita might have enjoyed due to the hot & humid weather. Without knowing for sure, I commend you for laying off the trigger.

On the other hand, I had no problem with disarming Spectre and using his super soaker on him.

P.S.
Yes you are a weenie! :D

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
ok Coinneach we need to go back to the drawing board.. start out with the easier hunting.. grouse with a shotgun etc. then we'll work up to deer.

BTW.. I'm not sure about space in Elk Camp yet. You and Morgan need to call me soon.

Rob