OK so I was wrong I could not stop at one....

WVsig

I originally set out to purchase one S&W .357 Mag. Started a thread about what S&W .357 would you buy if you could have only one. Tons of great responses. Lots of info and it helped me pick a Model 19-3 4".

Well I was able to get my hands on a nice Model 28-2 4" Here are a few pics of each gun...

So the question now becomes which one next? Was thinking about a 27 but the are pretty spendy. I really like the 4" guns. Suggestions.... ;)

Pathfinder45

Which one has the huge gap between the front of the cylinder and frame? I like the looks better when they use as long a cylinder as possible within the frame. Why do they do otherwise?

CajunBass

If you've got to have another 357, the Model 27 is the one to get. Personally I like the 5" barrel on a 27.

Yes, they're spendy, but they're not going to go down anytime soon I don't imagine. Might as well get two while they're cheap. :)

How about a straight 38? Generally they're less expensive to buy and are delightful guns to handle. Take the Model 15 for example. At first thought you might think it's just a Model 19 only chambered for 38 Special. I have a hard time myself deciding which I like better. I think the Model 19 wins because I've liked it longer, but it's close...really close.

The Model 15 is a lighter, trimmer, more elegant (in my opinion anyway) gun. The slightly shorter cylinder, the more tapered barrel, and lack of an ejector rod shroud, give the gun a totally different feel. Not better or worse, just different.

A couple of well worn examples. First a Model 19 (no dash) four screw.

And a 15-3. They didn't call it the "Combat Masterpiece" for nothing.

Just another option to consider. I'm a big fan of the K-frame, 38 special. The Model 10, and 14 are also good choices.

MrBorland

WVsig said:
So the question now becomes which one next? Was thinking about a 27 but the are pretty spendy. I really like the 4" guns. Suggestions....

Your 19 & 28 were excellent choices and fine specimens.

I'm not much of a collector, so my very biased recommendation for another .357mag would be something you wouldn't mind shooting the batsnot out of, so I'd suggest a 4" 686 (and a Dillon 650 ;)). If you must have a blued gun, get the 586. Either way, you'll fill the L-frame gap in your collection, while getting lots of trigger time.

GaryED50

I'd love to own a S&W model 15 but there not legal in CA. I remember them mostly from watching Adam 12
Gary

Last edited:

WVsig

Which one has the huge gap between the front of the cylinder and frame? I like the looks better when they use as long a cylinder as possible within the frame. Why do they do otherwise?

That is the 28-2. To my limited knowledge they have always looked that way. I cannot remember ever seeing one that was different but I am no expert.

orionengnr

Between the 19 and the 28, which do you like shooting/carrying better?

If you prefer the N-frame, then start looking for a 27.

If you find the K-frame a natural (as I do) have a look at the 66...unless you just can't stand stainless. It is an acquired taste, but it is low maintenance, and the finish is indestructible compared to a blued gun. Anything from bead-blasted dull/natural to highly polished near-chrome is easy to do. And if you change your mind, you can go in the other direction. Versatility and durability that a blued gun cannot match.

WVsig

Between the 19 and the 28, which do you like shooting/carrying better?

Have not shot the 28 extensively yet. In fact due to rain have not shot this one at all. :(

I don't carry either and really don't intend to. Will look into a 66. I don't mind stainless.

Bob Wright

I have two S&W Model 586s, which, in my opinion is the best example of a DA .357 Magnum to come out yet.

The L-Frame Smiths offer extreme rugged design, the cylinder length lacking in the N-Frame guns, and the grip size of K-Framed guns. And I favor the muzzle heavy full lug barrels. I still have a couple of Model 19s, but for a DA .357 Magnum, I've left the vaunted Python and Model 27 behind.

Bob Wright

44 AMP

Staff
Everybody has their favorites. Me, I don't care for the muzzle heavy feel of the L frames. They weigh the same as N frames, but don't balance the same. If you like it, by all means, enjoy!

I do have to question this, though...

the cylinder length lacking in the N-Frame guns

WHAT cylinder length is "lacking" in N frame guns?

The difference between new N frame and L frame .357s cylinder length is 0.05". That's all.

According to the Standard Catalog of S&W, cylinder lengths are as follows:
N frame, recessed, 1.62"
L frame 1.62"
N frame non recessed 1.57"
K frame recessed 1.67"
K frame non recessed 1.62"

So, interestingly, the longest S&W .357 cylinders (by 0.05") were the pinned & recessed K frames. I understand that the L frame guns were designed as non-recessed from their beginning, so when S&W dropped the recessed chambers, only the K and N frame guns got the back of their cylinders shaved.

Current production N frame .357s do have the shortest cylinder, but only by 0.05", I don't see that as significant.

Hal

So I am now up to 3. Picked up a 13-3 built in 1984.
Wise purchase.
Put that one in the "never sell or trade" category.
They aren't rare, but, their owners never seem to want to part with them & they aren't all that common.

BTW - here's a little something to try.
Handle one of your High Powers, then handle the M19 (or M13),

See if you can feel any similarities in the way they heft and feel.
I find the M19 and the BHP very similar in the way they fit my hand.