OK ready to get flamed on this Maybe

rezmedic54

OK folks here goes just ordered a Savage/Stevens 200 bolt in 7mm. Got a great deal on it. It will go with my Savage 16 in 308 flavor and my 8mm Sportster. I know I probably could have done way better but for the money did I get a fairly accurate rifle of am I just hoping for one. Thanks for any input on this . Kurt

FirstFreedom

It's a fine rifle. When you get some cash, you can upgrade it with a better stock, and I believe you can drop-in an accu-trigger. Good choice - you won't get flamed. Is it chambered in 7x57mm mauser or 7mm-08?

Gewehr98

It's a fine gun, especially since it doesn't have the AccuTrigger.

And I'm not so sure one can retrofit the latter into it, anyway.

Shoot it, group it, and ger familiar with it. If the trigger won't adjust to your liking and you feel the need to get something different, then don't compromise. Go to www.riflebasix.com, and grab one of their adjustable Savage triggers.

The Stevens Model 200 is a discounted Savage 110/10 series rifle, plain and simple. Remington should've taken a clue from the Savage/Stevens concept, and made a discount version of their Model 700, instead of introducing the unrelated Model 710.

Word on the street is that the Stevens 200 is the real sleeper in the crowd, delivering excellent performance at an attractive price. If I didn't have a Jones going for the new Remington 798 as my next long gun purchase, I'd seriously consider picking a Stevens Model 200 up.

garryc

The Stevens Model 200 is a discounted Savage 110/10 series rifle, plain and simple. Remington should've taken a clue from the Savage/Stevens concept, and made a discount version of their Model 700, instead of introducing the unrelated Model 710.
Remington made the 788 from 1967? until 1983. It had rear locking bolt lugs, 9 of them, and the fastest lock time on the market at the time. They butchered it in 1981 or 1982 by dropping the barrel to 18.5 inch. Darn fine rifle before they did that.
Then They came out with a bargain 700, the 78 sportsman in 1984. They made it until 1988. It was a 700 action but it was not near as good as the 788 (my opinion). Rumor had it at the time that the 788 was cutting deep into the 700's market. Remington was said to have wanted the floor space to increase 700 production, especially in the high end market. Remington ruled the preverbal roost at the time and savage was a gun that not many people paid attention to. Winchester was the main rival, but didn't approach Remington’s market share. Imports were expensive, being most dominant was Weatherby. Mossberg had a bolt gun but it failed because it could not compete with Remington.
Remington was "The Gun" at the time and I believe that lead up to them getting a "Big Head", one that lasts to this day. Just like most U.S. company's, they refused to look in the rear view mirror so they couldn't see who was overtaking them. Their loss, our loss.
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Savage110Trigger.asp Make darn sure it is the same as an old 110 trigger

Gewehr98

GarryC, I agree with you 100%.

The 788 would be just fine these days, as a discount alternative to the 700 family. Although, some gunrag writer would dismiss the rear-lugged bolt as being too "stretchy" and responsible for excessive headspace or brass failures. (Never mind the fact that one of the nicest benchrest rigs I ever saw was built on a 788 action)

Good, used 700 ADL rifles are fairly inexpensive, and to me would be the ideal alternative to the 710.

As for the Stevens 200 factory trigger vs. SavageAccutrigger, I'm very biased against the latter. The AccuTrigger offers a light pull weight, but only after your trigger finger pushes a safety interlock bar back through the trigger face.

It's kind of like having a breathalyzer permanently attached to your car's ignition switch. You know you haven't been drinking, but you still have to jump through hoops for the simple act of starting the car. Just how many hoops you're willing to endure to make it out the driveway is a matter of personal tolerance - liability lawyers be damned.

The AccuTrigger feels much the same way to me, especially since I have an older Savage 110 with a good trigger that adjusted quite easily, sans safety interlock bar. GarryC's link above shows how to adjust the older non-Accutrigger Savage trigger. I'm wagering the Stevens 200 trigger might be similar.

garryc

The AccuTrigger offers a light pull weight, but only after your trigger finger pushes a safety interlock bar back through the trigger face.

That doesn't bother me at all. I have several mausers that break clean after the first stage is pulled through. I simply don't attempt to firm my sight picture up until I'm standing against the second stage. Same with the savage accu-trigger

jlbpa

I put a sharp shooter supply trigger on my savage 22-250. Huge improvment and fairly simple installation but I did have to widen the opening for the trigger to fit thru the slot of the trigger guard. The trigger it self fits through easy enough but the trigger unit protrudes slightly through the guard consequently requiring the slot to be wider.
at 100 yards with my own not so professional reloads I can pick out a bullet hole on the target and put a shot through the hole or darn close. Couldn't do that with the savage stock trigger (pre-accutrigger).

rezmedic54

Maybe Flamed

Well it came in yesterday. You folks where right stock leaves something to be desired but I can live with it for now. Trigger was really bad put the scales to it and it broke at 8 pounds and the good part was that there was no creep or overtravel. Polished it up adjusted the wire and it now breaks at 3 1/4 pounds niece and crisp. The scope will be here sometime next week I hope and I'll go shoot the thing and let you know how it goes. Till then Be Safe Out There. Kurt

Jim Watson

You done good.
There are a lot of people buying these just for the actions to build up target and varmint rigs on.
They cannot be retrofitted with an Accutrigger but that is not really a consideration. I bought an Accutrigger Savage and the trigger would not hold at cock at the factory setting. I sure didn't want it any heavier so I put a Rifle Basix adjustable on it.

garryc

If you ant to replace that stock you should look at the Houge. It's Rubber coated so it is quiet. I've found that most plastic stocks sound like a drum when a branch rubs against them. When you're wearing gloves, that rubber gives you a good grip.

5whiskey

Just how much is a Savage Stevens? I've been thinking about getting one and putting a choate stock on it. If Savage makes it I know it's accurate, but I'm equally sure the stock is questionable on it also. Just wondering what the going rate for one is.