OK now what CETME .308

Sulaco2

Recently got one that I have always wanted and took it to the range. Brand new and had some issues until it started breaking in, (what up with that TIG welding?) Anyway I started to sight in at 50 yards to see whats what and found that 1. great groups. But 2. even at 50 yards its 6-10 inches to the left and I can not for the life of me see how to change the lateral aim point. Rear sights consist welded on rotating open iron sight, and smaller to larger peep sights. Front sight is a stand alone post in protective ring and does not seem to allow for lateral changes in sighting. What am I missing here? Bend the front sight??

Dave R

The windage IS adjustable at the front sight. You'll see that the front sight post is offset from center, so as you turn it, it moves from left to right. Note that there's a set-screw you have to loosen before you can turn the front sight post. Also, you'll either need a special tool, or use a fine pair of needlenose, or forceps, or something similar.

The routine for sighting in the irons is:

1. adjust up or down to get elevation right.

2. The adjust left or right a half-turn or less to get windage right.

Another thing to note is that some of the rifles are not assembled by Century Arms entirely straight, and you may not have enough windage to get on target. If that's the case, you have some options:

1. Return it to Century and get one built straight.

2. Modify the front sight by grinding off the post, drilling a hole and using a piece of drill stock to put in a new post with more offset. That's what I did (or rather, a 'smith did for me) and it worked well. The finer post gives me slightly smaller groups. You'll find the rifle is quite accurate.

3. Forget the irons and just scope it. Not a good option, but some do that. There are a number of aftermarket scope mounts. I got one that clamps to the receiver scope mount pads, and sits low enough on the receiver that when a scope is NOT installed, you can see the irons over the mount. When the scope is mounted, its nice and low to the bore axis, too. Not like the claw-style mounts that you sometimes see. But you'll have to google that mount up, since its been over 5 years since I bought it, and I don't have any records.

Hope that helps.

Sulaco2

Thanks Dave that is just what I needed to know. You are right it is very accurate vertically and on the first try. Don't think I have really ever seen that on a new rifle before. If I can get if roughly zero'ed then I will leave it at that and look for the mount you mention. Sounds like a great option and leave the irons/peeps as an emergency backup. :D

NWCP

I own an HK91 which is pretty much the same platform as the CETME and PTR91. I removed the factory iron sights and installed XS ghost ring sights. I find no need to install a scope. The ghost ring sights allow for quick target acquisition and are quite accurate out to 100 yards. If my eyes were better 200 yards would be doable. I enjoy using iron sights on the 91. Glad to hear your CETME works well. That's not always the case. Enjoy.

Mike1

The same guy at Century must still be welding the rear sight wrong - I got mine over 10 years ago!

I put a scope on mine and it is an accurate and completely reliable shooter. Since I handload, the only thing I don't like about these actions is ejection (I don't mind the streaks). Even with really mild handloads, the brass still flies 10 yards.

Sulaco2

+1 on that Mike1, mine beats the heck out of the brass and deforms the case mouth nearly every time. Oh well its a battle rifle not a target piece, kind of expected that...

Dave R

Even with really mild handloads, the brass still flies 10 yards.
Oh, yeah. When I have the CETME at the range, I always take the far right station. No need to injure armed people...

There's a picture floating around somewhere of a piece of brass stuck mouth first into a support beam at a range. Yes, it was fired from a CETME, and ejected into said beam.

Sulaco2

Ya the CETEM beats the heck out of brass, crushing the case mouth from mine. Dave R I got a manual for the CETEM sporter on line but it does not even mention the sight system :eek: I am assuming that its turn sight counter clockwise to move strike right and clockwise to move strike left, no?

Dave R

Pretty sure you're right, but its been years since I adjusted mine. It does tend to stay adjusted.