OK lets try this again... My Glock 17!

zackgee

l5YdW0t.jpg

5SELhta.jpg

jvSYOFC.jpg

I dropped in some nice stainless parts and did some custom grip tape... do you guys like it?

I've gone shooting two days in a row since getting this.... hands down the best thing i have ever shot... I LOVE IT!

After the comments about the barrel, here is a better look at it
5Y6EU9x.jpg

Last edited:

zackgee

Thanks! i wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but i like it.

The barrel is a lone wolf, believe its 5" with ports. It's solid, noticeably heavier than the stock barrel and its shooting great.

These were 3 shot groups from about 50 feet / 16 yards... (as far back as my indoor range went). Doubled up on both, i was so proud lol. Really worked on my hold and trigger pull today and it went great.

M1KE40P.jpg

uCxvvOg.jpg

I have not done anything with the trigger yet but i am going to. Wanted to feel what it was like out of the box before doing anything. I deffinently want a lighter pull so i might just get a 3.5 connector. i was considering the 6 lb spring but i already don't like the slack / take up to the break so i will probably leave the spring stock. The reset is amazing though, no complaints there.

Only thing i'm wondering is do i need to get a complete custom trigger to change the slack and over travel?

Brando1992

Very nice shooting!

I have put in the ghost pro 3.3 with springs kit on my g34, there is still to much pre-travel for me but by hand fitting it the over travel is gone. Still not completely happy with my set up. I have thought about either the zev or agency arms complete drop in trigger but have yet to spend the money on one.

zackgee

Yeah i've been reading up on triggers and im still not sure what im going to do.

I love the idea of taking out all the take up and over travel but then again that takes out basically all of the safety from the gun lol.

tangolima

Nice pistol and nice shooting.

I wonder about the ported barrel. It doesn't look much longer than the slide, so the port holes are covered by the slide. Does the slide have cut-out for the port holes? Thanks.

-TL

Pond James Pond

I wonder about the ported barrel. It doesn't look much longer than the slide, so the port holes are covered by the slide. Does the slide have cut-out for the port holes? Thanks.

Judging by the ports' positions in relation to the guide rod, I'd say the ports would just sit outside the slide.

NINEX19

I could just let this thread go on by and not say anything, but since you asked,
do you guys like it?
no, to me, it is still "lipstick on a pig". That is just my opinion.

The more important question is if you like it and it suits YOUR needs. My opinion in this matter (and probably most that post a response) really does not count for anything.

drobs

Reminds me I need to break out the white Crayola on my Glocks.
Had a beater gen 2 17 that I filled the letters in with crayon a couple years ago. Looked good.

Sharkbite

Great beginnings on a custom Glock!!!

Guys will say, "do this...dont do this" but its your pistol, do what YOU like.

I have been a heavy Glock user since they came into the country and have taught defensive pistol courses at some of the big name schools, so here is my take

The stock Glock trigger is very shootable, with a good polish job its really not bad at all. Google .25cent trigger job and get after it.

I prefer the 5.5# connector in all my Glocks. The 3.5# gives the trigger break a spongy feel. I much prefer the crisper feel of the standard connector.

If you are going to use the gun for any kind of defensive use, stay away from the reduced power striker springs and/or the lighter strikers. Both will reduce the energy the striker hits the primer with and potentially cause reliability problems. I know they are popular in competition, but i wont trust my life to anything less then a full power hit by the striker.

The only other upgrade id recommend immediately, would be replaceing the stock plastic sights. They dont give a very good sight picture and ive seen countless sets of them fail (as in fly off the gun) during hard use. The new ones have a screw holding the front sight on instead of the original little rivet thing. Id still replace em as soon as feasible with a metal set of your choice

Other then that, get out and SHOOT the beastie :D

9x45

Be careful with aftermarket locking block pins, I know of 2 shooters that had to return the frames to Glock because the SS pins were a few tenths oversize and opened the holes. Yea, good sights, try Dawson Precision, Taran Tactical or Heinies. This is how you white out a Glock...

My old G19 that survived a car fire, tweaked the frame and the slide, can't remove the barrel, but it still runs after replacing all the plastic parts.

image37103.jpg

zackgee

Thanks for all the great feedback

That's nuts that it survived a car fire just some extra hardening for the slide lol.

I heard that the 3.5 changes the break thanks for confirming it. I do like the crisp break so I probably won't touch it just polish it like you said. I could also live with the take up if it was a little lighter, I just need to change the trigger spring for that correct? I know it will make push back to reset lighter as well but its more than enough with the stock spring.

I did put lipstick on my pig and I love it like only a mom can love an ugly baby lol it shoots great and functions well but thanks for being honest at least lol

Yes the ports completely clear the slide. I'll post another picture tonight of the top view so you can see it. The ports do help as long as you don't mind the copper and lead shower you sometimes get lol.

Dan-O

The ported barrel is a plus.....I could do without the other changes. Extended slide stops do nothing for me.....

Sharkbite

I could also live with the take up if it was a little lighter, I just need to change the trigger spring for that correct?

I always use the stock "S" hook spring with all my guns. I dont know all the aftermarket springs out there, but the stock S spring is the best Glock option. The others..NY, NY+ all add weight to the trigger weight.

Some people like the NY spring with a - connector. I dont. It makes it feel more DA like. Id rather have the "slack"...hit the wall and break the shot crisply

YMMV ;)

IMightBeWrong

I love the Glock 17 in general, I keep mine stock. Whatever stuff you do to it, as long as it doesn't hamper reliability, is fine by me as well. Make it yours. Can't go wrong with a Glock 17 in my book!