OK guys give it to me!!!

dw

Guys i need all the reloading info that you guys wish you would have known when you started. I would like to know everything. Including best powders, primers, bullets. I plan on buying a dillon 550 which i know some of you guys don't think a newbie should start on but i will only use it as a single stage. You can either post teh info her or e-mail me at derek_workman@hotmail.com

Give me all teh info guys and i would like to thank you ahead of time
thanks
derek

Bud Helms

Have you done a search on some keywords like "reloading" yet?

Have you bought a reloading book to read yet?

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited May 12, 2000).]

dw

9mm and 45mm
and .223

no i have not read any books.
just wanted so info from you guys

kegrin

After reloading for 30 years on a rock chucker I finally moved into the 20th century and bought a Dillon 550. Don't know how I lived without it. You will do well with that machine as long as you PAY ATTENTION. Buy as many reloading manuals as you can lay your hands on(or afford),and do what they say!! Research,research,research.

Contender

dw,

Please don't take this the wrong way but, you really need to gain some practical knowledge first about what you are trying to accomplish via reloading. Without it you are truly an accident waiting to happen.

Before you do ANYTHING, read up on this subject on your own and FULLY aquaint yourself with the mechanics of this wonderful hobby first.

There is plenty of info on the web,and in countless books and magazines on this subject.

Asking the knowledgable people on this board to simply "give it all to you" is overly simplistic on your part. You must take some initiative on your own. That's what this hobby is all about.

As you become knowledgable in reloading with the passage of time, yes it takes time, then the fellow handloaders on this board will be more than happy to give you pointers on all facets of the subject.

You in turn could relate your own experiences with us from a more enlightened and knowledgable point of view. Also you could ask more intelligent questions using this knowledge you have gained.

With that said, welcome to the handloading fraternity and most important of all, take your time to learn.

Regards, Contender

beemerb

I would suggest finding someone that handloads and see if he or she will give you some one on one help.Handloading is no different then shooting,you can't tell someone how to do it easly but can show them.
Be carefull,I have seen too many people that where not careful.One good thing I have bought some parts guns cheap from them.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

bergie

The one thing that I wish I knew before I started reloading:
YOU DO NOT SAVE ANY MONEY BY RELOADING
Your cost per round will go down dramatically, but you will shoot more, and you will continue to purchase more gadgets and "essential" equipment as you go along, so you actually end up spending more.
As an example, I have shot more 9mm in the last 3 months (since I started reloading) than I did in the previous year. Even considering the lower cost per round - less than half of factory - I am still spending more.
My equipment has paid for itself in the savings over factory ammo, and I have become a better shooter with a better understanding of how ammo performs and why. Safety, quality and reliability in all aspects of firearms and ammunition have become more important to me.
There is no such thing as a best powder, bullet, or primer in general, they are all dependent on intended use.
Before you buy any equipment, buy at least one manual. They all have illustrated guides to the process of reloading and explain each step and why it is important. Of course each manual will feature the products of the company, i.e., bullet manufacturers will use only their bullets. They also have many articles on other subjects such as shooting techniques, optics, firearm maintainance, etc. After you get your equipment, you will want to get a couple more manuals. Many companies provide basic load data in freebie booklets that can be obtained at a store or downloaded. If possible, compare load info between a couple of manuals, esp. if going toward "warm" loads, I can tell you of at least one powder, that when used for the 9mm, has very different load data in different manuals, with the starting load in one manual being at the max in another for the same weight bullet.
While all of the suggestions from this board will be helpful, and getting and reading manuals is essential, Beemerb's suggestion of finding someone that reloads to guide you through your beginning steps is an excellant idea. Not only will his experience and knowledge help you to avoid some problems, and learn more quickly, if you are or become good enough friends, you might be able to borrow equipment, or help each other out on occasion. The guy that helped me get started showed me how to run his press, adjust dies, etc. by letting me decap/resize a couple hundred rounds of .30 carbine, .45, 9mm, .30-06, and load a couple of dummy rounds in each. Then he let me load one box of 9mm intentionally setting me up with a couple of problems that he then guided me through. Since then, he has given me several boxes of ammo in a couple of different calibers, let me use his tumbler, and offered the use of any of his equipment, if it is not busy at the time. Heck, I probably would not have had to buy any equipment, as he would let me use his in exchange for some of the grunt work of cleaning and processing brass.
Wow, running way longer here than I meant to, so I will sign off with one last piece of advice; don't assume anything and double check everything.
bergie

"i will only use it as a single stage."

Dw, I recommend you only use the 550 as it was designed to be used, as a progressive 4 stage reloader, "DON'T" use it as a single stage or you'll be back in here crying the blues.. :)

1. Get a kenetic bullet puller, you will make some mistakes.

2. Don't be afraid to call Dillion tech support, they're great.

3. Isn't there a video about setting it up???
if there is.. get it..

4. Get a second job, you'll need the money. Once you get that little savage up and running you'll be reloading thousands of rounds a day.

5. Buy a tool head, dies, powder tube and stand for each caliber you reload, that's one of the great things about the 550. This will make sense when you get started. It's another reason to get a second job, to add "stuff" to your reloading setup.

6. Buy more guns. You can now reload for dozens of calibers at a rate that will literally wear guns out.

7. Have fun.

You now have 2 hobbies, shooting AND reloading.. :)