Ok...Garand Lovers......were do you get your 30-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOLF

I just brought home a beutifull International harvester M1 Garand.

And would like your advice on Surplus militairy Ball.....who have you dealt with to get the 06 ammo.?
What is the curent "Show" price for a case of 1000? Do they sell it or is it scarce at shows.?

What ammo in .o6 is bad and recommended to stay away from.?

The availabilty does not seem to be all that good...can you explain....is it drying up?

And lastly , has anyone tried the device inserted into the chamber that converts the breach to .308 , which is much more comonly available it seems to me....they advertise that you can remove it with a case extractor when you want to move back to .06....anyone used this option.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer any of these questions.
WOLF

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited December 31, 1999).]

HankL

Wolf, It seems to me that the true surplus stuff is almost gone. The best supplier of 06 ball was The United States. Now, due to the current state of affairs, that is no longer true. What they sell as surplus now must be demilled. We can no longer reimport ammo that was made here and exported also due to the current insanity. You will need to keep your eyes open at shows to find some.
PMC and Talon both offer 30 06 in 150 gr. FMJ
The Talon sells for around $220 per 1000.

As for the adapter, I would steer clear. They have been known to eject with a round on occasion and in some cases damage the chamber.

Enjoy your Garand!

Hank

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Wolf,

This really should be in "The Art of the Rifle" forum rather than the General Forum. I'll move it there after a few TFLers tell us where they buy ammo for the Garand.

Also, I highly recommend the "Handloading and Reloading Forum". They have discussed .30-06 loads and the specific requirements for the M-1 Garand. You might be able to find their discussions by searching that forum using the key word "Garand". If that doesn't work, just ask the regulars on that forum where to find the past discussions and/or what they recommend.

Congratulations on your grand Garand! :D

bookkie

Have not seen loaded ammo in '06 in a while, but the best price that I've seen if you want to load your own can be found at:
http://www.qni.com/~rbeck/hitech/

They have surplus military ball '06 (bullets only) at a good price. Also powder, cases.

Now if you want tracer ammo they have a good price on the '06 at $300 per thousand.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Alan B

30-06 Ball ammo
sources
Talon sold by various ammunition dealers

30-06 Greek surplus in stripers and in the spam can $65 per 240 rnds from Dupage trading (630) 739 5768 ad in latest shot gun news..

Seen other ads out there if I find any more I will post them (someone was advertising 30-06 on M1 clips in ShotGun news but can't remember who)

some people are selling surplus M2 ball bullets pulled by Talon too.
have fun!

[This message has been edited by Alan B (edited December 31, 1999).]

alan

Re converting 30-06 Garands to 308, while it's true that there was, some years ago, a "navy conversion" the installation of a chamber insert, or sleeve, which worked, I do not believe it was a "kitchen table" job.

You could alwys re-barrel to .308, however assuming that your rifle has a good barrel now, why not simply reload. I have seen ads for U.S. Mil. 30-06, unfired brass, didn't pay all that much attention to prices. Commercial cases, though they are somewhat thinner walled should work, and load date is widely available.

Probably be best not to exceed a bullet weight of 180 grains, and do NOT use slow burning powders, as they are really hard on the operating rod, due to relatively HIGH gas port pressures. 4895 always was a good powder for the '06.

Surplus 30-06 ammunition likely has "dried up", since the last runs of Match 30-06 were made in about 1967, as I recall.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Wolf,
I'll move this thread from the "General Forum" to "The Art of the Rifle".

(Congratulations again on your M-1! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.