OK, educate me. The Cricket 22 bolt

Stiletto

I hear they're pretty accurate. Kinda expensive, if you ask me.

They have to be manually cocked, which drives me a little nuts.

MPH

Don't know about the cricket, but I bought this Chipmunk to keep one of my Ruger 10-22s company. Paid under $200 for it, then did some trigger work, urethane the stock and scoped it. It's a 17HM2 model

050630101302.jpg

MikeWrite

I gave one to my daughter for her ninth birthday. Got her the one with the red-white-and-blue laminate stock, mounted a miniature Tasco red dot sight, and handmade a tiny CW sling. She shot the heck out of it for years, until she outgrew it and I got her a 10/22.

The stock peep sight is crude, but seems acceptable on a low-priced plinker. The trigger is a little spongy, but it didn't seem to inhibit the kid's shooting much. She was drilling 2" metal swinging targets at 40-50 yards from field positions (not the bench).

No safety; once you load a single round, the gun has to be manually cocked. This is okay with me, and made my daughter appreciate the value of one well-placed shot -- she NEVER "hoses" with her 10/22. In fact, we were at a gun shop the other day, and she needed a new magazine for her 10/22. I asked her if she wanted a 25 rounder for fun. She declined and said she wanted a 10-rounder, because "I can't use the sling right if I have a long magazine." :D

Anyway, the Crickett is very light, with an LOP suitable for very small folks. We took a nine-year-old newbie girl shooting yesterday, and she used the Crickett. She loved it, and had a ball smacking the little metal disks. My daughter "supervised," and helped instruct on proper sitting and kneeling positions. (Wish I'd taken pictures.)

Never had any reliability problems with the gun. It's accurate enough for plinking, though my daughter's hasn't touched a bench except for the day we sighted in. Our Crickett experience has been a good one. It's not an Anschutz, but for a fun little plinker to introduce kids to rifle shooting, it works.

Mike

Stiletto

Weird. Local shop had one for like $150. O_O

Oh well.

Also, the regular kids' model actually fit me pretty well. Must be the high cheekbones.

yorec

Tried to buy one for my daughter - she's a lefty though... So I know they don't make Chipmunks or Crickets in a left handed variation. i searched high and low - called the companies, etc... Had to go with a Savage youth model to get it - it's huge in comparison though.

Ah well, she'll grow into it. :cool: