Oiling tips...

DanP

Yet another basic question (first semi-auto here), but somehow I haven't located a clear answer yet.

Weird that the Sig manual (or other docs in their site) fail to specify what a suitable amount of oil is. Maybe just a legal liability thing?

What is the recommended oiling procedure for a Sig (P239)?

From what I've heard its crucial to keep it oiled "just right".

How much oil, and where?

Ah, no wonder I've stuck to revolvers all this time! ;) Just kidding, but frustrated at the lack of simple info.

Shmackey

This is how one of the best 1911 smiths does it--so it's also how I do it. Your pistol isn't a 1911 but I would think this would work.

croyance

On any semi-auto, I oil all the rails, trigger group, hammer, and anything that shows wear. Other surfaces that move against each other also get oil. After cleaning out the barrel, an oily patch goes down.
As to amount, a little dab will do you. A drop down each rail, an oiled patch on most of the other areas.
This may not be the approved way, but on my centerfires I haven't had a failure of any sort.

If oil is dripping out, you over oiled.

Navy joe

If it moves I oil it. I've gotten partial to grease for barrel bushings and slide rails. Over oil is not good, sometimes I will warm my guns to 180 in the oven after cleaning and then lightly apply oil (CLP) with a q-tip. the metal being warm really makes the oil spread out and go everywhere. I wipe all excess and wipe the exterior with a light coat then let dry.

trapshooter

I sometimes use a long straightpin to transfer oil to mating surfaces down inside the mechanism to avoid detail stripping. You can use either end, depending on how much oil is required to spread over the mating surface.

Davis

I use oil only as a preservative. Surface contact areas such as the sliderails I use a small amount of grease. This also works well on trigger parts. Too much grease can be trouble, of course, but small amounts provide better lubrication than oil. It also stays in place better. IMHO