Oil on stocks?

presence

Would / Could, Rem Oil damage a stock in any way?

My wife swears her pink laminate .22 stock has faded since i oiled it up.

Bud Helms

It's probably dingy from the dirt attracted by the oil. Try cleaning it up with windex and see if it brightens up.

I don't think Remoil is intended for wood and I don't really understand the reason for "oiling up" a laminate stock.

Clean it up and use Birchwood Casey's Stock Rejuvenator or some other product intended for use on wood.

dahermit

There is an old myth that it is proper to use gun oil on a patch to oil the entire gun, metal and wood.

Gun oil will soak into the wood and soften it to the point where it will allow any screws to pull out. As happened with my brother's Rem. 870.

Use only gun oil for the metal, use only oils constituted for wood for the wooden stock...they are not the same.

Evan Thomas

I don't think Rem Oil is intended for wood, either... and it does, I think, contain solvents as well as oil, and those could damage a wood finish -- especially a pink one... :p (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Clean the stock with mineral spirits to remove oil residue and dirt, and see what it looks like when dry. If it's still dull, give it a coat of paste wax. If that doesn't work, remove the wax with mineral spirits and give the manufacturer a call to ask what the finish is (it's probably some sort of lacquer, which oils will not improve), and what product they recommend to "freshen it up." Not every "rejuvenator," etc., is compatible with every finish. But ya can't hurt it with wax.

Russ5924

I have always done it? Just a lighly oiled rag to wipe of the dirt, have done it on my Shotguns, Rifles and pistols. To old to change now:D

Dfariswheel

Too many people unfamiliar with guns read about "oiling" wood, and fail to read enough to find out they mean WOOD OILS, like linseed oil and tung oil, oils that are designed for wood applications.

Standard gun oils contain petroleum products that soften, darken, and rot wood.
This is why you see a lot of old military rifles with wood nearly black from the generations of old oil and grease that's soaked in the wood.

Many, if not most newer shooters go through this before finding out the facts.
When I was eight I got caught applying a coat of motor oil to my dad's .22 rifle, and got told the facts in no uncertain terms.

Gun oil is for metal, wood oils are for wood.