OICW news

Dave R

"...more than 60 air-bursting rounds were successfully fired. The firings demonstrated a reliability of greater than 95 percent, Hubert Hopkins, the president of ATK's Integrated Defense Co., on Monday told sister publication Defense Daily. "

95 percent reliability on 60 rounds is _not_ ready for prime time. They said accuracy was better than expected, though.

I'm still a fan of the concept. Look at it this way, if you were a Taliban hiding in Afghanistan, trying to snipe our guys with your AK (or even your Enfield), how long do you think you could last if they could send airbursts at you to nail you from behind your rock from 500 yards away?

Even if 1 or 2 guys in a squad had these, it would alter tactics pretty significantly.

bruels

The target priorities for a sniper are (IIRC):
1. snipers
2. leaders and radiomen
3. crew served weapons operators

I suppose an OICW operator would slide in there right between snipers and leaders.

orlando5

How can you kill your enemies if your weapons need batteries and there not a 7-11 near by? God forbid if the weapon is not water, shock, and other nasty stuff that GI do to their gun proof.

Archer1440

Well, of course the KISS principle isn't being observed here. Mr. Murphy seems to be chief engineer on projects such as this. As Jeff Cooper said of the OICW a few years ago, tongue-in-cheek, "Now how have we ever managed to get along without that!"

However, as to the issue of batteries, there is a shortening list of vital items that don't require battery power in the modern battlefield. GPS receivers, watches, some scopes, laser rangefinders, communications devices, Satcom receivers, and many other devices all rely on a power supply.

I have no doubt that the OICW operators will be a valuable addition to the firepower options of leaders on the field of battle, just as flamethrower operators and BAR men were in WWII and Stoner men were useful to SEAL platoons in Vietnam. But, not all soldiers will have OICW's, and not every SEAL carried a Stoner 63.

It is interesting that ATK (Alliant), the prime contractor for this project, recently bought Blount's ammo business including Federal cartridge.

Dave R

LOL!!! Cooper can make a point like no one else, eh?

But still, remember how much progress we have made in the durability of laptop computers. Remember when you had to park the head of your HD manually?

Now they can take all manner of abuse.

Laser rangefinders, GPS and other battery-powered devices are becoming proven in the field in the hunting market, at least. I'm sure spare batteries weigh about the same as 1 round of 20mm.

Vladimir_Berkov

We have made progress with laptop computers. But, if I took a laptop computer. Then threw it off of a 2-3 story building on to a hard surface, picked it up and then tossed it out of a moving car. After it hits the road it is run over by a truck's front and rear wheels.

I would not bet my life that the laptop would even run, much less run properly.

However this exact same series of events were done in a test of the AK-74m and once they picked it up off of the road it functioned perfectly!

Watch the video clip for yourself!

http://club.guns.ru/images/video/ak-74m.mpg