Ohio School Superintendent says Teachers need guns!

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
The Link: http://news.excite.com/news/r/991021/15/oh-state-news-2

The Article:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Superintendent Says Teachers Need Guns

Updated 3:09 PM ET October 21, 1999

(READING) -- Parents, teachers and students in Reading (red-ing) are involved in a heated debate over guns in schools. School Superintendent John Varis raised the issue last Friday by saying that he believes there should be weapons available for teachers to use if violence breaks out. A petition was circulated Wednesday calling for his ouster. Varis says teachers have a right to protect themselves and students in situations like the one at Columbine High School. School board member Bill Apking says he would pull his kids out of school if the suggestion became a policy.[/quote]

Now I don't think we should arm all teachers, but having a few guns in the building, under lock and key, for emergency use only is a good idea. I have a daughter at a local elementary school and I would feel better knowing that the principal had a gun locked in his office for emergency use.

Just the public knowledge that there are guns in this school for defense should help deter school shootings. How else are you going to stop some nut-case from shooting up the place? We can look to Israel for examples of using guns to keep kids safe.

It takes a gun to stop a gun.

I for one would like to help John Varis if possible. Maybe someone lives near Reading and can give more info.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

EQUALIZER

Mr. Varis should receive the support of all the teachers, and especially parents. If the teachers are too mentally/emmotionally unstable to allow to keep handguns in thier purses, and under thier belts at all times, why are they teaching little children in the first place?! May I offer two reasonable solutions in my view:
1) Let the teachers/staff/and any other adult AND child (w/Mom & Dads permission) carry guns and knives to school. If they are misused, the individual misusing the tools should be dealt w/appropriately to the violation.
2) If the teachers and administration do not reflect the values of the parents, the parents should do their kids a favor and pull them out of the cesspool and teach them at home. Let the government schools rot. The tax dollars would be better used by the taxpayers personally. If the parents don't want to teach thier children at home, they can save $ and send them to the private school of thier choice.

PS: Bill Apking has the option of pulling his kids out of that school. Let it be. The same for ALL parents who choose to do this.

Thanks for bringing up the thread, Blues. Good topic. It is encouraging to know that at least one superintendent has some sense.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I just got this in my e-mail but don't know the sender. Makes me wonder which version is the truth.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Watch for news and mis-quotes about the superintendent of Reading Public Schools (an "urban suburb" of Cincinnati). He spoke out recently that other options need to "discussed" in order to insure the safety of children in schools. For example he suggested that teachers should have training about weapons so that they can identify by sound the difference between a shotgun blast and a .22. Also, if you see a handgun skid across the floor with the slide in the open position (after firing), you know that it is no longer loaded. How to unload different kinds of firearms safely. Teachers should learn when it is best to "take a bullet" to save a student vs. go after the attacker to save many. He compared it to sex-ed argument that "their going to do it anyway -- we may as well teach them how to do it safely." He suggested that metal detectors and cops in school may give teacher and parents a false sense of security. He also noted that some research had been done to indicate that books were able to stop (or at least significantly reduce the momentum of) even large caliber handgun bullets. "Should students be taught to shield themselves with their book bag?" He was only advocating a discussion of the issue based on facts! One Reading teacher had the balls to call in and say, "Reading kids are good kids. It can't happen here." !?!?! I'll bet Columbine teachers would have said the same thing if asked two years ago. Other teachers and parents calling in were very supportive.
He has been misquoted by the gun-phobes as advocating that teachers be required to be armed. He was interviewed on WKRC (AM 550) this morning for 90 minutes with both the "conservative" and liberal hosts agreeing with everything he said. Yet that very station used misleading tease lines for its news.

Watch for more on this if it can be misused. Watch the story die if the superintendent can't be discredited.[/quote]

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale