Ohio CCW Range Qualifications?

Kreyzhorse

A good friend of mine has finally decided to apply for his Ohio CCW license. While he isn't a gun nut and doesn't currently own any handguns, he figured with the current political climate now was the time to get his license.

While not new to handguns, its been a while since he's shot one and I offered to take him to range next week to get some practice time in on both semi's and revolvers.

While I have my CCW, my license is a Kentucky license so I have a few questions regarding Ohio's range portion of the test. I'm looking for things like distances involved? Number of shots fired? Type of target used?

Any information or other insight from any Ohio CCW would be appreciated.

Thanks

skeeter1

I've given up on the idea

"Any information or other insight from any Ohio CCW would be appreciated."

I looked into it, but it's a 2-day course, 1 day classroom, and 1 day range time. Problem is, last I checked (~2yrs ago), it cost $175. There are too many places I go (hospitals, nursing home, police station, etc.) all of which have "No CCW" signs posted. Any establishment can post a "No CCW" sign, so for me at least, it's not worth the trouble or expense. :( When I go out, I carry a 2.5" folding knife instead.

ragwd

I am not affiliated with Commencefire.com but I have taken the ccw class and the advanced pistol class. one day class 10 hrs, 2 hrs range. Makes for a long day but its only one day rather than two days.They were very good at teaching very dry stuff. This is a ccw class that teaches mostly legal stuff you need to know. They do some marksmanship, not much. they do some about the insides of a pistol and revolver but its mostly giving you all the info you need to pass the 100 question test. I did a 98, so it can't be too hard. the range time was fun but super easy, I did a 100 and 70 was needed to pass. Commencefire is owned and taught my cleveland police, nice guys and they do a great job of making sure you get the info you need to pass. I plan on taking the advanced pistol class again, it was a blast. I think that the advanced class should be required also, teaches to shoot from cover, to shoot while moving, close quarters.

timpierce

I'll agree with RAGWD. I took the Ohio class. It was 12 hrs, 1 day, most of which was classroom, covering basic handgun terminology, safe handling and inspection, adjusting sights, and legalities of CCW. The range time was short, and limited to firing 100 rounds total at targets set at 7 yds. Our class was taught by a firefighter/EMT and a police officer. During the range session they failed anyone who did not exhibit safety in handling their gun.

WESHOOT2

understanding; yes, I have an opinion; no, I don't "understand"

I have difficulty with the concept of limiting one's unalienable right to wear a concealed firearm through "licensing", "course requirements", "tests", and such nonsense.

No one is required to pass tests for speech, or religious belief......

(Please no one mention "But driving blah blah blah", as no part of our Constitution is involved).

I'm saddened to read of anyone discouraged from excercising any right due to limited finances or time; un-American IMO.

In the meantime, I've taken the NRA Basic Handgun Instructor course; just covering me posteriority.

Sorry to rant; continue (hopefully with some worthwhile advice :D )

wag51486

When I did my Ohio CCW, February 2008, our instructor did 10 hours of class time, and 2 hours on the range. We shot at 25 yards at bullseye target of about 2 X 2 feet. For the range time he instructed us for about 1.5 hours and then had everyone step up the line, one at a time, and shoot, if all our shots hit the target we passed. Also look around for smaller CCW classes that generally charge much less than say a shooting range will, I only paid $70 plus the $45, for the liscense at the police station.

CalvinandHobbes

Got my OH CCW this summer as a result of the coming election. Man... I'm scared.

I took the class for 100, they had a loaner gun for me to shoot at the range (2hrs). We fired at paper plates 25 yards away. If we hit close to the plate 5 times we passed. I certainly had no trouble but should have checked befor... turns out, as military, I didn't have to take the course! I could have simply applied!

If you're going for OH CCW and he has any military affiliation. Cash in on that! Otherwise, the course wasn't TOO bad. best part was learning the legal stuff and getting to sit in a gun shop and ask all kinds of questions while doing it.

Good luck!

Chris

Krahling

Our sheriff will only count military service if you can show that you qualified with a pistol. For other counties, a military ID card is sufficient.

Dwight55

Most of the central Ohio classes with which I am familiar run either one 12 hour day, . . . or two 6 hour days, . . . I did one, . . . my son did the other.

I paid $100, . . . my son did it for $125.

Range for me was an 8 inch white paper plate at 7 feet, . . . five out of five have to hit the plate. My son's was somewhat more involved, . . . but only because he wanted it to be. His was at Blackwing shooting center, . . . and they did a "For trainees only" special price on all rental guns.

Safety, as mentioned before, is the one big counter.

May God bless,
Dwight

Kreyzhorse

Thanks for the info so far guys. Looks like the shooting distance is either 7 feet or 25 yards, depending on the instructor. No idea how my buddy's course will go, but I'll make sure I get him shooting both up close and long range.

wag51486

Kreyzhorse:"Just curious, 25 yards or 25 feet? When I took Kentucky's, we either did 7 or 10 yards at a human outline target."

For us it was 25 yards not 25 feet. We shot at the Ohio Spring Valley public range, that was a long drive to get in that range time, i think 6+ hours round trip.

Pretzel

Ohio CCW

I hooked up with a couple of instructors out of Sidney for our training. Range officers for the local PD. First, they had produced a series of 6 dvd's with the 10 hours of classroom on them. I bought the series at a local dealer near my home. Watched them at my leasure, so did the wife. Later scheduled the range portion at their "private" range, on one of their farms. They were top shelf all the way.

Apparently they had previously cleared the idea and use of the video through the State Attorney General. We took a written test that included separate questions about certain special info embedded in the dvd's, just to prove you watched. Was better than time in a classroom, as I could watch portions as many times as I wanted. The wife liked that, as she's fairly inexperienced with handguns. We both passed no problem. Our Sheriff took all of the time he could before issuing the licenses, but we now have them.

Our instructors used exercises at both 7 and 15 yards, and even had us practice firing while moving toward cover as an exercise. I felt we got more than just the basics. They spent more than the required 2 hours with us. Cost $125 for my wife and $125 for me.

Ohio's Castle law went into effect in September, a vast improvement and clarification from what was in effect. Still, there are too many places that are no-carry "be a victim " zones. Hopefully, the state legislature will address that in their next effort. Keep the feds out!

Elvishead

Holy cow, 25 yard? Not easy with a handgun.

In NV it's 3, 5, and 7 yards 30 shot's keep it in the 8 with a B27 Silhouette, and a 5-6 hr class.

This would qualify in the pick. It was my snub shooting at 25 yards, and I would have qualified.:D

Attachments

• Gun Target 25 yaeds 004.jpg
    Gun Target 25 yaeds 004.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 139

fierocdsp

Most of the classes I've heard of use targets at defensive range-anywhere between 7 and 15 feet. The class I attended went primarily over shooting basics and drawing the gun to the retention position, then extension. I was the most advanced student in the class with my occasional USPSA/IDPA local matches as experience, though I did pick up a few things. They were mainly testing to make sure you could put holes where you intend them to go and not elsewhere.

There are classes ranging from $35 if you can find them. One I looked at provided a 22cal pistol but wouldn't let you use your own centerfire gun. :barf:

One thing I kinda wish Ohio had was a set target range/score requirement. It's just too easy to pass. While some consider that great, I think it's producing a few under-qualified carriers.

Sevens

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule with regards to range qualifications. I don't know how any county or Sheriff would have any set standard-- they merely look to see that you can produce the certificate of course completion and that you pass the background checks and that you've answered the questions on the application properly, then they make you wait and then issue. I think any range qualification standards must be set for the instructors who are given the ability to issue a certificate.

For a course, I would recommend Safety First. These guys operate in/near Springfield, Ohio. Right now, the course is a clean $100 and here's the real bargain-- any paid student may also sign up an interested female student for FREE. A win-win situation for all involved. Why is it a win for all involved? The folks giving the course use it as a selling point, and they get more enrollment. The students win as a guy can bring his wife/girlfriend/mom/daughter/sister/neighbor for FREE. Ohio gun owners win as more folks sign up, get licensed and support the legislation that allows it by exercising their right. All Ohio citizens benefit in reduced crime and the idea moving across the land that the next "victim" you intend to accost might shoot you, hopefully preventing crime.

The course is twelve hours on a Saturday. Taught by cops and former cops/military. 10 hours in the class with a break time each hour. 1.5-2 hours on the range for qualification. They need to you demonstrate safe handling and operation of the handgun. You'll need to show that you know how to load it and unload it. That you know how to work the safety if it has one. That you have the physical ability to do these operations. They need you to show that you can shoot strong hand, weak hand, and two handed. They also ask you to shoot from low ready without using the sights. All our shooting was at 7 yards.

You may have it holstered or unholstered during all non-shooting, but there is no presentation or drawing of loaded weapons. They suggest and offer an advanced class for these skills. They encourage weapons in the class but all live ammo is to be left in the car and NEVER brought in to the class at any time for any reason.

You may qualify with any handgun and they offer some rentals for folks without a handgun of their own.

They also offer a packet for a non-resident Florida license for an extra fee. (this packet includes the complete application, a photo and finger printing and notarization for the packet) This kit is $25, but Florida requires $117 be included when you mail off the application.

Check 'em out at:
http://safeccw.com/

Check the website-- if you find a class that is not yet full that works with your schedule, CALL them on the phone and get yourself registered.

One woman attends free with one paid student-- this is a deal that pretty muck makes your course cost $50 instead of $100. That's one heckuva deal. They say they may not continue to offer this... sales tactic or reality? I wouldn't wait another minute.

Glocksterr

"For us it was 25 yards not 25 feet."

that seems excessive to me. from what i have seen the majority of LEO's would have a hard time meeting this requirment.

Stone Cold

7 to 10 yards are the distances used to qualify. Piece of cake. However, I'd recommend getting some good tactical training, such as offered at Tactical Defense Institute in West Union, before carrying your pistol. You'd be surprised about how some good training can affect your confidence and proficiency. John Brenner is a top notch SWAT intructor for OPOTA, and he uses a number of LEO trainers that know their stuff. Bottom line, don't rely on the CCW training to keep you alive in a gunfight.

Kevinch

There are too many places I go (hospitals, nursing home, police station, etc.) all of which have "No CCW" signs posted.

I'm a recent transplant to OH from next door (PA). I know the gun owners here in OH put up a heck of a fight to get a CCW law on the books here, & now that I live here in addition to "congratulations" I say "thanks".

That said - this is nothing like PA. A CCW permit in PA is much easier to obtain - no training classes, no fingerprinting, etc. Just go to the sheriff's office, apply, pay, & wait a few weeks - you can even have it mailed to you.

Also, there are way less restrictions on where you can carry. I pity the fool that would try to open up in the church I used to go to: he will have more people draw down on him that he could imagine (a few will be off-duty police). You don't see the "No CCW" signs in store fronts either. Automobile carry is uncomplicated too: have it concealed & you do not have to advise of possession if you are stopped. There were a few times I was pulled over while carrying & I always advised the officer - but I didn't have to be concerned about being arrested if I didn't & my hands weren't perfectly located.

I'll get my OH CCW permit, & will do all I can not to patronize those establishments that forbid CCW carry - but the laws here could use some streamlining.