Oh no...thinking about AR's

chris in va

Shot one in the military, wasn't impressed. Pretty much wrote them off for years, having used my Saiga conversion for general plinking enjoyment.

I got to thinking, and that's a bad thing for my wallet. Please talk me out of an AR before wheels start turning. $400 for a gun is do-able, but $800 for a rifle is not easy to come by.

What got things going? Trying to find darn reloadable brass in x39.

Jim243

Hey, if you find any let me know. I have a SKS and Mini-30 just sitting until the gun shows start having 7.62x39 brass for sale. (not holding my breath for that.)

While the 223/5.56 is questionable as to effectiveness for battle or hunting, it is a great plinking/varmint gun, fun to shoot, easy to change and bad a## looking. Just be warned that like patato chips you can't just eat one of them.

Jim

SAM_0253.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

If you must have a 223, there are other options.

SAM_0245.jpg

Last edited:

madcratebuilder

Come to the dark side chris.

I understand coming up with the $$$ for the purchase. Nice thing about the AR platform is it's modular, you can buy just a portion at a time. Buy a complete upper, then a lower with a parts kit, followed by the stock and any accessories you may want. I know guys that spent a year gathering their parts and ended up with a damn fine rifle.

Take your time, you never know when you well find a bargain on some parts. Parts become rifles like these.

Aarms01.jpg

AR10noveske01.jpg

bipod01.jpg

tirod

I agree, $400 is a lot to come by in one fist. I didn't see how I could do it not using any paycheck or credit. I also realized it would take $800-1000, $400 is a real tough goal.

I built mine. Bought parts as cash became available. I sold off knives, tools I don't need, refunded stuff I thought twice about, and scrimped by. My build has realistically cost over $850, almost done, financed entirely by selling off things I didn't need. It hasn't taken a dime out of my paycheck yet.

I bought an AGP stripped lower with trigger adjustment screw on sale, $79.80. You can get many like it for less from others. The A3 upper was a LAR factory blem, $48. I've bought a lot of parts from Brownell's with military discount, the kits bundled that way really cut down shipping. I wanted 6.8SPC, which isn't mil surp cheap, no $89 barrels from Sportsmans Friend there. The major maker is ARP, and the barrel shipped with headspaced bolt, cam pin, and firing pin, plus nitrided bolt carrier, was the most cost effective. It all came assembled complete, ready to install in the upper. An A1 stock, TD grip, A2 rifle handguards in Foliage Green, almost finished.

Definitely not another M4gery, not black, and certainly not like all the others. Arguably better than milspec. I might have saved some with 5.56, the difference could have been spent on a more common roll mark, or fancy tools.

I used a pair of vice grips, old drill bits as punches, a set of $8 vice jaw inserts, and 12" channelocks to tighten the barrel nut. :eek: It's not rocket science.

Start with how much accuracy you want, then buy the barrel/bolt, upper, optic, furniture, and trigger in that order to match. If it's a plinker/SD/hunter, 2MOA is standard. That pretty much eliminates sniper stocks, adjustables, free floats, or 2 stage triggers, which cannot improve accuracy more than what the barrel shoots anyway. Sure save a lot of money, and more shooters would be better off doing it that way. Too many go at it backwards and wind up with $1200 2MOA shooters. Lots of pretty parts, no heart for the job.

All American parts, no known imports, 100% just repurposing what I had. Haven't had to sell off another gun to do it. It can be done.

Quentin2

My first AR was done like Tirod, a little at a time and just used tools in the garage. Worked out fine and wasn't too painful financially.

Then came the upgrades. Then the second AR. That's when the bleeding begins! :p

That'll Do

I bought my first AR last month, and I already and looking at another. They're addictive as can be.

The great thing about the AR is its modular design. You can make it any way you want it. As others have mentioned, you can built it piece by piece, as you have the funds available.

I'd check out a gun show, you usually can find good deals on ARs there.

Here's my AR, a Colt LE6920, with an EOTech 512 sight on it.

IMG_0258.jpg

Last edited:

chris in va

I *really* like the Colt pictured above. Not looking for crazy rails or tactical gear, just a simple, functional rifle that won't jam like I keep seeing at the range.

Now, is it more economical to just buy a complete lower and upper or try and get all this stripped stuff and assemble myself? I know zero about AR's and wouldn't even begin to know how to start or what to look for.

I wish there was an 'online test' for something like this.:p

5RWill

It's cheapest to build it, but its cheaper to buy an upper and lower over a full built gun. Used to be the same way and didn't care for them. Finally swayed myself into buying a upper and lower. It's amazingly fun. In the process of getting a SPR upper. They're worth it IMO.

Last edited:

Jim243

Not looking for crazy rails or tactical gear, just a simple, functional rifle

Yep, that's how it starts (LOL). If you can put a Gas Grill together you can build an AR, the AR is easyier only requires an AR wrench for $8.00.

I would purchase the upper complete with the bolt carrier assembled and headspaced. Or you could buy this kit from Midway USA and the only thing you would need is a "Stripped Lower" about another $80 to $125" And have a complete rifle for less than $625.00.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=819768

Jim

Be sure to shop around first.

Last edited:

Jim243

Yes.

"16" Chrome-Moly Threaded Barrel
Chambered in 5.56x45mm, 1-9 Twist
Complete Lower Parts Kit
DPMS GlacierGuard Handguards and Delta Pack
A2 Flash Hider
Complete DPMS Pardus Stock Kit
Complete Bolt Carrier Group
Carbine Length Gas Tube
Charging handle
Single Rail Gas Block"

chris in va

I don't see anywhere in the description that it's chrome lined.

But anyway, I picked up 550 spent cases of various 5.56 today. I used to just leave it all on the floor looking for 45acp but that will change.

That'll Do

chris in va said:
I *really* like the Colt pictured above. Not looking for crazy rails or tactical gear, just a simple, functional rifle that won't jam like I keep seeing at the range.

Now, is it more economical to just buy a complete lower and upper or try and get all this stripped stuff and assemble myself? I know zero about AR's and wouldn't even begin to know how to start or what to look for.

I wish there was an 'online test' for something like this.
n

Thanks Chris, I really like my Colt, I haven't had any jams or malfunctions, in the 500 or so rounds through it. It's sole purpose is to serve as a self defense/home defense weapon.

You'd be better off just buy a complete lower and upper. If you buy a stripped upper and lower, and a parts kit, you're going to *need* specialized tools, no exceptions. So you may save some money at first, but the savings will be eaten up by tools.

I think you'd be better off buying a completely assembled gun. Just my opinion.

Here's a rough breakdown that of what I've put into the Colt:

Colt LE6920: $1250
EOTech 512 HWS: $460
Magpul ACS Stock: $140
Magpul MOE Grip: $20
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard: $20

TOTAL: $1890

Obviously, it's a serious chunk of change, but it is a damn fine weapon, an excellent tool.

You can buy a complete lower, like a DPMS or RRA, for around $300, and then add a really nice upper, like a Bravo Company Machine (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/) for around $400, and you'll have yourself a good weapon.

Last edited:

5RWill

How do you like the ACS stock? I don't see many people running those. It seems comparable in design to the LMT SopMod and Vltor. Contemplating between an adjustable stock with cheek weld or fixed.
Here is mine :D

2njkayg.jpg

XLT

just ordered a Del-ton midlength kit the a couple days ago, 488.32 with shipping...

local ffl sells stripped lowers for $80...

About the lowest I think I can get, but it's no frills... which I don't really want/need/or care for :)

That'll Do

Blackops_2 said:
How do you like the ACS stock? I don't see many people running those. It seems comparable in design to the LMT SopMod and Vltor. Contemplating between an adjustable stock with cheek weld or fixed.
Here is mine

I really like it. It's rock solid, and it lets me get a really good cheek weld. I looked at the Vltor, but went with Magpul because they offered additional recoil pads (I prefer a thicker pad). If (when) I buy another AR, I'll buy either this stock, or the Magpul UBR (pretty similar to the ACS).