Oh MY!! I bought a...a...a...Taurus...

CajunBass

I'm a sucker for a 22 handgun. I've have Colts, Smith & Wessons, Dan Wessons, Rugers, Harrington & Richardson and probably some that I can't think of off the top of my head. But I've never owned a Taurus 22. I'd looked at the Model 94, but just didn't like the SS/slab barrel/rubber grip look.

Then I found this one.

100_0446.jpg

100_0447.jpg

It's a Model 94, but one made in the early 90's, it's got a 3" barrel, 9 shots, adjustable sights, and rather nice wooden grips. This is more my style. I dry fired it a few times catching the hammer with my thumb and the trigger seems decent. Better than the newer Taurus 94's I've tried.

Anyway, I figured I had little to lose, so I'm going to give it a try.

(Actually the Taurus revolvers I've owned in the past gave good service, but they were 38/357. I expect this one to be just fine also.)

jglsprings

SEE!!!!! I TOLD YOU!!! :eek:

You sold that K frame 357 and the world as we know it has collapsed!!

Just kidding. I have a couple of Taurus revolvers as well. It will be fine and you didn't have to spend a thousand dollars for new Smith.

Let us know how it goes. I'm betting it is accurate as any other.

wayneinFL

Welcome to the club. Multiple requests for S&W to make me a 296 have fallen on deaf ears. I recently resorted to buying a titanium 44 from Taurus.

Looks pretty good. Can't wait to shoot it. I just have to get some 44 special brass next time I'm in town. Planning to put wood grips on it and possibly cut off the hammer spur.

g.willikers

That vintage Taurus has had a pretty good reputation.
Back then, complaints of their quality control seemed rare, if memory serves.

223 shooter

Looks like a very nice 94 you have there! I picked up this Taurus 96 a few years ago .
grips003.jpg

When I first saw it at the shop I thought it was a Smith 17. I never had a Taurus but at $239 I thought I'd take a chance. The Taurus actually shoots quite well and I am very pleased with it.

Venom1956

Long have I had nightmares about seeing a Taurus propped up against that particular tree on that particular wood railing... Honestly... Its not to ugly. ;) I'm glad its blued, wood is ok. Let us know how it shoots?

CajunBass

Long have I had nightmares about seeing a Taurus propped up against that particular tree on that particular wood railing...

:D It's not my first Taurus, it's just the only one I have now. I had an 82, 85, and a 66. All were good shooting guns.

Shoot, if I find another "nice" RG-22, with the box and papers, I'm going to buy it. I saw one about a year ago, but it didn't have the box, so I passed on it. :p ;)

Hope to get it to the range tomorrow.

skidder

I'll admit they are nice looking. Having 2 strikes already I'm not planning on a 3rd. I hope your Taurus treats you better than mine did. Although, mine were both stainless Trackers :rolleyes:. Maybe, the older blued ones are better? Don't know?... but anywho, congratulations, and let us know how she shoots. :)

9mm

!! where you find this, I been looking for a Taurus 94 from the 90's because of the beautful finish of them back then.

CajunBass

!! where you find this, I been looking for a Taurus 94 from the 90's because of the beautful finish of them back then.

It is a nice looking gun. Maybe not as pretty as a Smith & Wesson, but a long way from those ugly things they make now. Not to mention that it was about half the cost of a Smith & Wesson, and I have never actually seen a Smith & Wesson "J" frame in 22, that I know of.

I hope to find out how it shoots later on today.

Where? It was on the rack at the LGS. The grips jumped out at me. For a second I thought it was a S&W, but quickly realized they were old Taurus grips. The guy behind the counter, said "YOU want to look at a Taurus?" :eek: Sure why not? I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but I'm not a snob about it. I wouldn't pay Smith & Wesson money for one, but I'm not above buying one.

Mayor Al

A couple of months ago I picked up a Taurus 990 9 shot 22 revolver from BUD's. I am glad I did. It shoots as good as any 22 I have ever owned ! Also, I got it for $300 and since the price has jumped to $390, so I feel like I got a bargain !

Here's my Taurus 22.
12105.jpg

chewie146

Forgive my ignorance, but what is that funky thing over the back sights on new Tauruses/Tauri/whatever the plural is. Is that a sort of makeshift protector for the rear sight?

Venom1956

chewie its just how the gun ships, its supposed to keep the adjustable sight from any impacts; on multiple returns to the factory... ;) (joke)

It's not my first Taurus, it's just the only one I have now. I had an 82, 85, and a 66. All were good shooting guns.

Shoot, if I find another "nice" RG-22, with the box and papers, I'm going to buy it. I saw one about a year ago, but it didn't have the box, so I passed on it.

AHHHHHH! Stop! Mercy! The nightmares grow worse!

aarondhgraham

I could see myself buying a used Taurus,,,

I could see myself buying a used Taurus,,,
Provided I could thoroughly check it out first.

I believe if your Taurus is good out of the box,,,
It will probably be a fine performer for years to come.

I also believe if your Taurus is bad out of the box,,,
Your chances of getting it's problem truly fixed,,,
Are pretty slim even with their warranty.

I believe this because of personal experience,,,
Not because of internet chatter about them.

So if I saw a used taurus for sale,,,
And especially if I had some knowledge of it's history,,,
I might take a chance on it being one of the originally good ones.

For example, if my friend ever decided he wanted to sell his Model 990 Tracker,,,
I would be the first in line to make him a reasonable offer on the gun,,,
I know it's history and know how well it performs for him,,,
The Taurus brand name would not turn me off to it.

Aarond

Last edited:

Mayor Al

OK, I can take the jokes...so long as I don't have my very accurate Taurus 990 22 caliber revolver in my hand and you say that while in the same room with me !!!:rolleyes::p

The plastic thingy is a shield for the rear sight. I think they mean for it to be left in the box, but frankly I use it to protect the rear sight when I stick the gun in my turntable rack.

CajunBass

My wife and I took it to the range today. Now we don't do anything fancy. We just go shooting. I can't tell you what size groups it shot because we don't measure them. But we did put a couple hundred rounds through it, and didn't have any trouble hitting with it. No malfunctions, which was what I expected. Ejection of empties was slick and positive, something I've had trouble with on other D/A 22's. My wife loved it. She did not want to give it up so I only got to shoot a few cylinder fulls. It cleaned up easily. Neat little gun.