Oh, Lord - I bought a "wheelie"... :D

As one who has always used a semi-auto, the thought of purchasing a "real gun", as revolver lovers like to say, didn't appeal too much - other than a curiosity to see how they felt, shot and for accuracy.

Decided to go for a 4-gun classification in IDPA (or get started towards it). Did the normal research before plunking down many YPU's (Yankee Purchasing Units - $$$) on a gun that I might not be keeping.

Decided on a Dan Wesson, if I could find one in good shape. For those that haven't purchased a used revolver before, the sticky at the top of this forum was an EXCELLENT read - now I had a much better feel for evaluating a used revolver's condition.

Bought a NIB/NNIB Model 15-2VH6 - ventilated, heavy lug 6" barrel - .357 Magnum or .38Spl - at a local estate auction. VERY, VERY nice revolver, well balanced, but the "target grips" have to go for competition - hard to keep one hand around it with that slick varnish finish.

Took it to the range last evening for first practice and sighting-in. Once I got it hitting paper (elevation was WAYY-Y-Y off), I played around a bit with it before doing a full print-em test.

I put it at 15 yards (indoor range) and slapped a Orange Peel bullseye on it. Was shootin' .38Spl through it - no Magnums inside. Shot four shots, and with the aging eyes, thought I was missing the danged target again. Not shooting from a sandbag, just resting the elbows on a table while sitting in a chair. Looked downrange, didn't really see any scattered shots on the paper, so I elevated the aimpoint about 2". Took two additional shots, and saw something else on the paper besides black. Walked up to the target, and thought...

WOW. Just, dang, WOW. :D:D:D

I read that the Dan Wessons were tack drivers, but not until I saw the grouping did I believe it. The two high shots were the last two, aimed above the normal aim point on purpose because I didn't think I was hitting it consistently and wanted to see if it was actually hitting it.

dang1.jpg
dang2.jpg

5/8" group on the first four shots before I moved up on the target. Needless to say, I'm grinning from ear to ear. The trigger pull is consistent, the timing is right on (dead center in the primer strikes), and extremely manageable recoil.

Now all I gotta do is find a 4" barrel and shroud for it, a good piece of gunleather to conceal carry it with, and I'll be a happy camper.

Oh, yea - and learn to count to six consistently!!! :D

firechicken

Nice group! I really don't have a preference on the revolver/semi-auto thing....I like 'em both. If I had to choose one, it would probably have to be the revolver simply because you don't have to go looking for the brass.;)