Oh boy...two hole primer pocket

Vet66

So there I was just moving along loading 357 mag....one at a time on a Dillon 650 using a mix of RCBS and, Lyman dies. Felt a little rough at times. Loaded
a bunch then noticed that I've punched an extra primer hole in some of the brass...bent pin and such. Is this brass safe to use? Should I pull down the loaded ones to be sure? Not a happy shooter.

Cheapshooter

Loaded
a bunch then noticed that I've punched an extra primer hole in some of the brass...bent pin and such.
:confused::confused::confused:
Bent the primer pin, and continued to load without looking for the problem?:eek:
Was able to actually punch an additional hole through the thick base of the cases?:confused::eek:
What make was the brass?
I haven't heard of any companies loading 357 Magnum brass case ammo using Berdan primers, but is that a possibility?

Vet66

I did not feel anything different except a little click which seemed unusual. The brass is Starline. First time I've had this happen. I guess I'll pull it all down, no clue what the outcome would be if I don't.

Last edited:

gwpercle

Show some photo's of the holes. I didn't think it was possible to punch another hole with a normal primer punch. They aren't designed for that .Didn't the extra force required send a message ? These progressive machines must have some good leverage and power.

Vet66

mag%202_zpsqlb0avag.jpg

mag%20brass_zpsdw4kuyms.jpg

Jeffm004

Call Starline, I have in the past and got to a human in short order. I doubt they make berdan cases.

Either your pin is mis-angled in the die or the plate is not lining up. I have punched through Bergdan .45 and 9mm cases. Generally you know it just a tad too late.

I do not believe that is a berdan case.

Could you have a Large primer pin instead of small? Although I have never checked to see if they are different in any die sets.

44 AMP

Staff
the case, and any others like it, are toast, toss them.

You might want to take a look at your personal reloading style. ANYTHING different, and you should stop and check things out, not just go on happily cranking out rounds.

Any "funny noise" or a different feel, there is a reason. Sometimes the reason could result in bad ammo, even dangerously bad ammo. When something doesn't line up right, ALL the time, when something "sticks" that should move freely, or when something that shouldn't move, does, STOP.

Find out what is wrong with your machinery, and fix it.

rclark

Either toss the cases ... or use them for say wax loads as you are supposed to make the flash hole bigger when just using the primer as the propellant.

Find out what is wrong with your machinery, and fix it.
+1

Mobuck

Using that brass for heavy (possibly even moderate) will most certainly result in blown, perforated, or set-back primers.
Don't know what sort of equipment you're using but that occurrence should have been noticeable.

TimSr

Those in the pictures are normal brass that has had a 2nd hole punched through from a bent pin that did not align with the center. The brass is now toast.

MSD Mike

I think Tim has it right. My guess is you had a case with some left over debris from the tumbling process. That debris bent the pin then the pin started punching holes in your brass.
Speaking from experience. I now look inside every case before I put it in the press. Sometimes you find something hiding in there.

Mike

Ifishsum

I agree - something bent your decapping rod/pin and it started punching in the wrong place. Starline is generally very consistent brass, and the extra hole is beside the real one in the pics.

foolzrushn

Perfect for keychain bullet fobs. Get some ball chains and key rings, stick the ball chain through the hole, push in a fully jacketed bullet and give'em to your buds with 357's or those who would like one!

FrankenMauser

TimSr said:
Those in the pictures are normal brass that has had a 2nd hole punched through from a bent pin that did not align with the center. The brass is now toast.
Exactly what I was going to say.

...But I probably would have used more words, unnecessarily. :rolleyes:

---

As for that primer pocket....

Did you ream or 'uniform' those primer pockets?
That chatter in the primer pocket is not typical of Starline cases, in my experience.

rodfac

Get rid of any berdan (2-holes) primed brass, that's the first step. As to your pic, that's a standard Starline case, boxer primed, with the hole enlarged by your bent decapping rod, obviously. I'd discard any round that were loaded with the rod before you discovered the bend. Rod

griz

Besides the obvious extra hole, it looks as if there are two "steps" for the primer pocket. Although I couldn't say for sure, it even looks as if it is pushed in somewhat. Was some unusual tool used for cleaning or uniforming the pocket?