Oficially started my rifle collection.

Tibu

Well, I had posted before about buying my first rifle, which is a Chinese Paratrooper SKS. I was this weekend visiting a couple of local gun shops not really looking for anything and in one of the shops they had basically on sale a brand new DPMS AP4 Ar15 Carbine and I couldn't resist to snatch it up as my first "American" rifle.

But first is a range report on the Norinco SKS:

Well I was really nervous, considering I was about to shoot an almost 30smothing year old rifle made in China (oh boy). Even though I had it checked out, I was cold sweating like a pig. Loaded a single round, closed the bolt and proceeded to acquire my target. I had read about how using scopes on SKS was basically useless so I didn't expect to hit my target. Anyways, aimed for the X mark (standing stance btw) and proceeded to gently squeeze the trigger. At first, I was wondering WTH was going on as the trigger has no resistance at first for waht seems a long travel. Then it suddenly stops, squeeze a bit harder and BANG!. Checked to see if my fingers and hands were still attached; everything OK. Check my target, hit dead center on the X mark. This is at the maximum range of the indoor range, which is 120FT.

DSC00050.jpg

Shot two more rounds and they still hit exactly where I aimed. I then loaded the mag to full and kept shooting. Everything went until... for some reason, the sks seemed to fire a 3 round burst. Yes... my pants doth got soiled :eek: the first round seemed to strike on target and the other two were progressively off as you can see. Now I have a new understanding for the term: "Slam Fire". Overall I love the little bugger and is a joy to shoot.

My experience with the Ar15 however was not so joyful. Basically followed the breaking in procedure as stipulated on the manual to the letter. However, either the sights are WAY off or I officially am somehow retarded. Aim straight for the red X and the shots land, oh about 3-4 inches to the right and 2-3 inches low. Switch to resting the rifle and me sitting down and I get the same results. I am really frustrated. I couldn't check with the in range instructor as they were closing (i got there really late). But, I will definitely go on tuesday and have the rifle checked out, and see if it's me.

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

surg_res

I was really nervous, considering I was about to shoot an almost 30smothing year old rifle made in China

Imagine how I feel pulling the triggers on the 115 year-old mausers I collect :eek: (I'm thinking about getting disability insurance for my million dollar fingers)

Those chinese SKSs are slick! The chrome-lined barrels will last forever! I've got one similar to yours and it shoots great despite looking horrible on the outside. If you want a good comparison, put some glass on the AR too--in all fairness that is.