Officer Killed

Rob Pincus

This afternoon a Police Officer was shot in the head by a murderer who was on the run.

******See below for the story********

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 25, 1999).]

Rob Pincus

The BG was found in his truck with the gun on his lap....The doors were unlocked, so they rushed him and took him into custody.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 27, 1999).]

BMWGS80

I live in Nashville and the gun dealer who's shop the pistol was purchased is a good friend of mine. They interviewed him on the news and ran it Sunday and Monday morning. The news reporter and channel did a surprising thing. They reported the news with no sensationalism, no gun control slant, and no between the lines remarks. It was clearly stated that he filled out the correct forms and was ok'd by the proper authorities to purchase three guns. Thier investigation found that he lied on the 4473 in saying he had not been arrested/charged with etc. on a domestic violence violation. I do not remember the wordage on the form. The reason he was cleared on instant check according to the authorities is the time lag between booking and transmitting the information to the TBI. The TBI said it does not put any booking info in the system until it receives the fingerprints in approximately two days. This one slipped through because there had not been enough time for the information to be logged in since the arrest. So far there has not been any new outcry of legislative change. Just remorse over the deaths.

I believe I got all of the info right as it was reported. Another tragedy.

BTW The officer killed was from a small satelite suburb of Nashville. A very small community within Metropolitan Nashville.

God Bless you and yours,

ts

Rob Pincus

The information above is accurate to my knowledge. I was wondering if anyone from OUTSIDE of our area would bring it up.. to see if it was being mentioned elsewhere.

Kodiac

Man, I hate seeing a thread like this.

Thankfully these threads are not common.

My prayers go to the Officer's family.

Randy Cain

I work for the Goodlettsville Police Dept. where Detective Hicks was a fellow officer.
I'd like to correct a couple of errors in previous posts.

1. The perp did not meet Det. Hicks at the door. He was sitting in a car in the parking lot, layed back in his seat. As Det. Hicks walked past the car on his way to the apartment originating the 911 call, the suspect fired from inside the vehicle at a distance of only a few feet.

2. A three day waiting period would not have prevented this. The suspect already had one gun. He had just bought 3 more through the instant check system earlier in the day. When he was taken down, he had 4 guns on him.

Randy Cain
www.guntactics.com

Rob Pincus

Hey Randy, welcome to the Site.

I put up that story based on the initial information I got from Metro. Here is what I have heard, as of tonight, please correct whatever you see as wrong.

1. Day one the killer (perhaps also his accomplice) was charged with a crime resulting from a domestic violence situation and was released from custody.
The killer and his accomplice were drug dealers, and upon being released, some drugs were sold.

2. Day two, the killer and his accomplice purchased three guns. He lied on his form 4473, and TBI did not have a record of his recent arrest.
Later that day, the killer went to his home and killed his wife, after the accomplice had helped him kick in the door.
Later that day, the accomplice went to his girlfriend's (and mother of 2 of his children) home, and went in to kill her, while the original killer waited in his car.
One of the accomplice's kids called 911 and reported the domestic. The officer happened to be close by and he showed up quickly after the call. While walking across the parking lot, the officer was somehow made to turn his attention to the killer, who shot him in the face.
The killer then went into the home and told the accomplice what happened. They both left the scene, driving right past two patrol cars who were responding to the domestic call .. and did not know that the first officer had been shot, or even that he was on the scene.

Later that day the accomplice turned himself in, and the killer was found asleep in his vehicle at a mall about 40 miles from where the officer was killed, with the murder weapon on his lap.

Apparently, Their plan was to sell the drugs, kill the women who had scorned them and then go on a bank robbing spree, and likely be killed in the process of it all. The killer was White and the Accomplice was black.

I heard 90% of that ealier this evening.

------------------
-Essayons

fubsy

Rob,
Ive struggled with this statement of yours for a couple of days......the part that bothers me is the part that ''unfortunately no one thought to see him move''....to me that implies, that he ought to be killed, with out the rights that we are all concerned with. Whats hard for me here is that I do believe that the world would be better off with out some people in it. I need to ask ya this as well.....what if the killer had not killed the officer, and had just shot his wife, would the same ''no one thought to see him move apply'', if it does not is that not an implication that police are looking at there own as above the law?....Please understand here Im am saddened and disgusted everytime I hear of an officer dieing in the line of duty......but to me that very mindset that the quoted line expresses is possibly a dangerous mindset, look at all the media driven frenzy when an officer is accused of breaking the law or violating the civil rights....fubsy.----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The BG was found in his truck with the gun on his lap.. unfortunately no one saw him move .. and no one thought to see him move. The doors were unlocked, so they rushed him and took him into custody.
------------------

Rob Pincus

Fubsy,
After reading your comments, I have removed my post, as it may obviously have been offensive to some.

Candidly, I feel that yes, the world would be better off without some people in it. That statement applies to the guy if he had only killed his wife. Would it have applied to all murderers I am familiar with? No. Would it apply to a case where one drug dealer kills another? No, not necessarily. But in the case where a man kills his wife in cold blood, completely premeditated.. yes, it would apply.. that is my opinion.

I went to Officer Hick's Funeral this afternoon, there were over 450 marked patrol cars in the processional. I was in an unmarked car, as were dozens of other officers, I would not hesitate to say that there were close to 1000 badges in attendance. The news reported "Thousands" of people at teh funeral, and there were patrol cars from at least 4 states. The Processional stretched well over 5 miles in length. It passed the apartement complex where the oficer was killed and his headquarters. I am going to try to get a copy of the Eulogy, which was given by a retired police officer, Fred Schott (sp??), as I think many here would either appreciate it or learn from it.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 27, 1999).]

Randy Cain

Rob,

I wish you'd looked me up as I would like to have met you.

Ironically, the cemetary is right behind the subsidized "housing area" (PC for 'projects') where Det. Hicks was shot. He is buried within a few hundred yards from the spot where he fell.

Randy

fubsy

rob,
I was not offended by your comments, just concerned of the possible mindset that sets in when you are having to deal with the nature of crimminals. In frustration and anger we often speak our true feelings, weather we would carry them out is not the issue--but it lends its self to be misconstrued by others.

I Live and work in Donelson, and I work evenings, from my fellow workers I heard of the long procession for that officer, it is a true loss for our community and more importantly his family.

Please remove my posts as well on this subject.....fubsy.

Rob Pincus

Randy, I believe I have heard your namementioned up at the USmner County SO, did you work as a reservist for them at one time??

Fubsy,

I'd prefer for you to edit your own comments as you see fit. Use the edit icon at the top of that particular post.

I think there are at least a half dozen TLF member sin our area, we should plan on getting together some time. I usually shoot at my house on Sunday when I am in town. this saturday I will be down in Manchester at Mikey's IDPA club for my first match.

Tonight I'll be in the real projects, hopefully I won't be knocking on any TFL members doors!!

------------------
-Essayons

fubsy

rob,
I like to get together with the tfl members...good idea, maybe we can make it happen, Im available of weekends....tks fubsy.

Rob Pincus

Yeah, when I started doing auxillary work for them, they mentioned your name when they found out how much I was into firearms and gun/tactical training.

I spend most of my time with metro, though my credentials are through SCSO.

Also, for those that asked:

Det. Hicks had two children with his ex wife, and he had been re-married.
------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 28, 1999).]

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
My condolences to Detective Hicks' family and friends. No, I had not heard of this but working night shift, I'm like a vampire.

John

Check out the "Officer Down Memorial" at
http://www.odmp.org/
It lists all (or most) of the officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty.