Offhand at 25yds..

MrWesson

I was just wondering what a good group is offhand at 25yds..? I mean I know I shoot okay but just wondering where I stack up.

Here's a typical 25yd group shot with a 4" Springfield XD service(5 shots)

Mrgunsngear

At 25 yards that's a very good group with an non-match gun. Shoot, watch Top Shot, all of them can shoot and they frequently miss by more than that at that distance.

bossman

Yup, I'd like that grouping at 25 yards off hand. Still waiting for that Blue Moon to show back up. :D

MrBorland

At 25 yards that's a very good group with an non-match gun.

Agreed

Check out the recent thread on the same topic.

Here was my opinion:

"Looks like you're asking about target accuracy, in which case my standard answer is that "good" (but not excellent) is an honest & consistent 3" at 25 yards with a serviced-sized gun (e.g. your GP-100). That's 5 unsupported, deliberate, aimed shots. "Honest" means everything counts (no "fliers"), and "consistent" means it's what you can typically do on demand (± 10%). Good Revolver shooters ought to be able to do this in double action, too."

MrWesson

These were shot with a two handed grip standing unsupported. These were shot with more of a target mindset rather than speedy defensive shots. If it matters they were cast lead reloads from wheel weights using 4 grains of bullseye(124gr bullet).

Thanks guys I'll take good or okay anyday.

bluetopper

Pretty darn good shootin there especially with a polymer gun. I was proud of these two groups from these two guns I shot one-handed @25yds.

100_0746.jpg

old bear

Sir, your grouping though not match grade is very impressive for a non match shooter using an S/D handgun. If I can keep 6 rounds fired in six seconds in a 3-4" group I'm a happy guy.

ltc444

All in the X ring excellent.
All in the 10 ring outstanding
All in the black good.
All on the torso adequate.

For self defense any one of those groups will work. But the tighter the group you have in practice the better chance you have of surviving a serious social encounter.

bluetopper

Self defense and social encounters are just a side benefit to my owning and enjoyment of my firearms and is not my main interest at all.......unlike a good many on here I would bet.

Target shooting with few good friends is really what I like to do. Seeing who can shoot the tightest groups at 25 yds., one handed bullseye style and aquiring and reloading for the fine firearms designed for such. We have a great, close place to shoot and do so almost every weekend.

I matured and outgrew out of the "tactical hi-cap" phase of my life several years ago.

Last edited:

(*_*)

Wow thats much better then what i do. I shoot at a 5in by 5in orange square target that i miss 50% of the time at that distance.